7 (A CONSTANT STATE OF WORRYING)

The events of last night replayed in Jenna's head the next morning as she went down for breakfast

The events of last night replayed in Jenna's head the next morning as she went down for breakfast. Her mom made eggs and toast like before, only they sat there in silence as they ate their food. It went by slowly, finishing their plates and cups with the smell of coffee and the faint sound of the television in the background.

It was after the two were done with breakfast that her mom grabbed her keys and looked at Jenna, speaking the first words of the morning. "Let me take you to school today," she offered.

Jenna raised her eyebrows in confusion. "Really?"

"Yeah," she replied. "It's my day off today and I know you get tired of walking to school."

Grabbing her rucksack, Jenna smiled a little and nodded. "Okay, yeah, that sounds good."

Dorothy smiled back and let Jenna out the door first, followed by her, closing and locking the door. The two got inside the car, settling in the seats. As Dorothy cranked the car up and backed out of the driveway, the feeling of seeing Carter at school after what happened last night made Jenna nervous. Was he still shaken up about what she did and said to him? She admitted that she was worked up over it, her thoughts constantly stirring around.

"You okay, Jenna?" her mom asked, snapping Jenna back to reality.

She turned to face her, nodding again. "I'm fine," she lied

"Tired from last night?"

"Yeah, a little bit."

Dorothy focused her eyes on the road, but her expression turned concerned. "There's something I've been meaning to ask you." She took a deep breath. "Have you been feeling weird these last few days?"

Jenna felt her heart racing, wondering if she suspected that something was off. "No, why?" She attempted to shrug off.

"I was just wondering," she replied. "I know these last few days really had the whole town on edge, and now that Will's body has been found, I'm not sure if things will calm down or get worse."

Jenna let out a shaky breath. "I'm not sure, either."

For the rest of the short ride, Jenna stayed quiet, trying to ease her nerves until she got to school. When her mom pulled into the parking lot, she huffed a sigh and bid her goodbye, stepping out of the car with her knapsack. Before Jenna made her way into the school, she spotted Steve storming inside.

"Steve!" Jenna called out to him, but he simply ignored her. "Hey, Steve!"

"I'm not in the mood, Jenna!" he replied, turning back around.

"What's wrong?" she asked, catching up with him and grabbing his arm. "Dude, I'm trying to talk to you!"

Steve spun around, irritated written all over his face. "I already said I wasn't in the mood."

"What the hell is your problem?"

He huffed a sigh, shaking his head. "Look, just leave me alone, okay?" With that, he turned back around and walked down the hall.