Chapter 6 - Pancakes for Breakfast!

The next morning you woke up unable to move, entangled in someone's arms. Groggily, you rubbed the sleep out of your eyes and yawned, turning to see it was Alex's arms wrapped around you, causing you to become quite flustered. As nervous as it made you, you still didn't want to move. It was comfortable and warm. Plus, you felt safe, it was so much better not sleeping alone. You snuggled back into her arms, sighing in contentment.

That comfort lasted for about a minute before her alarm blared loudly, startling the both of you and causing Haley to groan loudly from across the room. After hitting the alarm off, Alex went to stretch but realised she was holding you and became just as flustered as you were, if not more so,
"I- Uhm.. Sorry Y/N!"
"Aha, it's okay, I- Uhm, didn't really mind.." You muttered, burying your face in her shoulder.
"Oh-" Alex tried to speak before Haley interrupted,
"Can you guys flirt somewhere else?! I have a raging hangover.."
"A. We weren't flirting. B. Stop getting drunk all the time if you don't want a hangover." Alex retorted, irritated.
"At least I have a social life!" Haley argued.
"I do too!" Alex responded.
"Your girlfriend doesn't count." Haley grumbled, sitting up to face Alex.
"I have other friends!" Alex debated, trying to prove a point.
"Like who?" Haley quizzed sceptically.
"Uh-" Alex fumbled over her words for a moment before finally spitting out, "Ben..?"
"The dude's like 50, come on. Also, you probably should've denied having a girlfriend." Haley mumbled, running her hands through her dishevelled hair.
"Whatever, you'll keep saying it whether I deny it or not, why should I care?" Alex responded, dignified.
Haley laughed slightly and said, "Someone's changed their tune. You usually go batshit."
"Ugh, I don't care. I'm gonna get ready. You should go down for breakfast Y/N, I'll be down too in a minute, I heard Luke and Dad shout something about pancakes." Alex advised you, squeezing your hand softly.
"Oh, sweet! I'll see you in a minute then, pancakes here I come!" You exclaimed, jumping out of bed and sprinting downstairs.

~ Alex's POV ~

After Y/N left, I decided I had to get some advice and when it comes to relationships, Haley's pretty much my only option,
"Hey Haley..?"
"What, dork? Can't you see I'm suffering..?" Haley groaned, clearly very hungover.
"Yeah, yeah. Look, I need some advice.." I brushed over her complaining.
"Ugh, what's up? Don't tell me you're dating Ben?" She turned to me with a concerned look on her face.
"Oh, God no. It's about Y/N.." I responded, clearly embarrassed.
"Ohh, so you like her then?" Haley responded in a "matter-of-fact" tone.
"I- No! Uhm.. Well.." I began to mutter and fumble with my words.
"Spit it out." She was obviously too tired to put up with my mental gymnastics to avoid saying the truth.
"Okay, fine. You're right, I have a stupid crush on her." I caved and admitted, burying my face into my hands.
"Figured. You look at her all starry-eyed, like she's the only girl in the world." Haley laughed, but in a soft way, rather than the usual teasing manner.
"Oh God. Am I that obvious?" I looked up at her, worried.
"Kinda? She seems more oblivious than you, so I imagine she doesn't know. But even still, she looks at you the same way. If you like her, just tell her." She said, trying her best to be empathetic.
"But what if she says no? And then she doesn't wanna be friends anymore?" I asked, tears welling up in my eyes.
"If she says no, take the rejection and live with it, that's just life. But if she doesn't wanna be friends after that, then you know she's probably not a great person that should be in your life." Haley replied as though it was obvious.
"I mean, yeah, that does sorta make sense.. Wow, you're actually pretty great with advice." I responded, a little stunned with how easily she solved my problem.
"I know. Now go downstairs." Haley demanded.
"Jeez, no need to be so pushy." I waved my hand dismissively at her and began to walk toward the door.
"I'm not, Y/N went downstairs in just your shirt, you do realise how that's gonna look, right?" Haley gestured toward the door.
"Oh shit." I muttered, and sprinted down the stairs.

~ A few minutes earlier ~ Your POV ~

Excited at the prospect of pancakes, you raced downstairs to see Phil singing a song about pancakes, with a pan and a bottle of pancake mix at his disposal,
"Good morning Phil!" You smiled happily at him.
"Hm? Oh, mornin' Y/N! You want some?" He stopped flipping the pancakes for a second to respond.
"Yeah, that'd be awesome, thanks!" You answered, leaning on the kitchen island.
Claire walked in, looking tired,
"Good morning Claire!" You grinned brightly and greeted her.
"Morning, Y/N." She replied groggily, before turning back to face you quickly, "I'm afraid to ask why you're just wearing Alex's shirt.."
"Oh, she leant it to me since I didn't bring any spare pyjamas with me." You explained casually.
"Phew.." Claire let out a sigh of relief.
Alex suddenly came sprinting into the kitchen,
"Mom! I know it looks weird that Y/N's just in my shirt but-"
"She already explained it to-" Claire was cut off before she could say more.
"We didn't do anything inappropriate, I swear!" Alex exclaimed awkwardly.
"Nobody was thinking that until you said it." Luke shouted from the dining table.
"Oh." Alex's face went bright red, "So, I heard we're having pancakes!"
"Mhm, I'm makin' em!" Phil ignored the awkward atmosphere and broke the tension.
"You having some, Y/N?" Alex asked, leaning on the counter next to you.
"What do you think, my love?" You asked, leaning in and whispering in her ear.
"What did you call me..?" Alex asked, blushing.
"Oh- Uhm- I was just kidding, aha.. ha.." You tried to play it off as a joke, realising how real those advances were made you nervous.

Despite the many slip-ups that morning, the breakfast was fairly pleasant, and Claire happily dropped you, Alex, Haley and Luke off at school afterwards.