Chapter 4 - Dinner

You followed the fighting girls into the dining room, 

"H-Hey, nice to meet you Mr and Mrs Dunphy, I'm Y/N, a friend of Alex's.." You awkwardly introduced yourself.
"Nice to meet you too, call me Phil!" Mr Dunphy responded enthusiastically.
"Okay, great to meetcha Phil."  You felt more at ease with how welcoming Phil was.
"Yeah, call me Claire. And I'm sorry for interrupting whatever you and Alex were doing." Claire replied, feeling the awkwardness too.
"Actually-" You were about to explain what really happened until,
"THEY WERE TOTALLY DOING IT MOM!" Haley shouted, still fighting with Alex.
"No we weren't!" Alex shouted over her.
"Alex just went to grab a book behind me and lost her balance, sorry if you got the wrong impression there.." You explained, chuckling a little.
"Oh, well, that's a much better reason. I'd just rather Alex got a lock for the door if she was going to do what I thought she was doing.." Claire responded, it was unclear if she was joking or not.
"How many times do I have to say it? I WASN'T DOING ANYTHING." Alex retorted, annoyed.
"Okay honey, we believe you, let's just sit down and enjoy our meal." Phil sighed and told her.
"And I don't wanna hear anymore arguing out of the two of you. Sorry if it's been hectic for you Y/N." Claire scolded Alex and Haley.
"Ahaha, it's totally fine." You reassured her.
"I'm just surprised Alex even has a friend." Luke laughed.
"Luke!" Alex shouted at him.

Besides the beginning argument, the actual dinner was pleasant and uneventful. You got to know that Phil was a realtor, Haley had recently broken up with her boyfriend, Dylan and that Alex had once kissed a random boy on his doorstep to prove she wasn't a lesbian. That story kind of hurt you, for some reason. You couldn't figure out what on God's Earth was causing you to be jealous of a boy from years gone by, but your heart hurt each and every time she said she wasn't gay. Little did you know, she wasn't exactly telling the truth.

After the dinner, you and Alex went upstairs to her shared room with Haley and you managed to convince her to watch a movie with you instead of studying. She already had all her homework finished so it's not like it'd be an issue. By the time the movie finished, it was around 8pm and your dad called..