Snow White and Rose Red

"Hi, I'm looking for Hunter?" Blanche grips the handle of the small picnic basket she found under Hunter's kitchen sink. Why a man like him has it is beyond her.

The spritely receptionist she remembers the first time she came into Red Ink Studio regards her, lifting an inquisitive eyebrow. "Who?"

"Hunter? Big guy, short hair, angry-looking?" Bee laughs at herself.

"You mean Peter?" the girl says.

"Hunter Peters?"

The girl with the pink-tipped hair forms an 'O' with her mouth. "We call him Peter here. Yeah, he's here. Do you have an appointment?" She looks down at the basket Blanche is holding before checking the computer monitor.

"Ahm, no. I just thought..." Blanche shakes her head and lifts the basket. "I brought him dinner. It's a surprise."

"Are you his girlfriend?"

"No!" Bee regrets saying it too quickly. "We're ahmm... roommates."

The girl lifts an eyebrow again. "You're shitting me, right? I have a roommate but she doesn't bring me dinner in a picnic basket." Bee's cheeks warm. "I'm Daisy." The girl offers her hand.

Blanche switches the basket to her left hand. "Blanche."

"You look familiar. Have I seen you here before?"

"I was here once for a bit, with a friend." Almost three months ago, in fact. "I can just leave this if he's busy."

"No. He's in the back with Red."

"Red?"

Daisy squints at Blanche. "You don't know Red? Peter's never told you about her?"

"Should he have?" Why does it feel like Daisy's privy to a secret? Blanche bites down on her bottom lip. Just because they will be parents to a child, it doesn't mean he has to tell her everything, does it?

That afternoon, while they waited for the doctor to come into the examination room, with her in a too-thin fabric which the nurse handed her and asked to change in, Hunter was there. There for her, silently supporting her. He didn't say much, and he seemed as nervous as she was, but his presence made her wistful. Maybe they can make things work. Be roommates, then friends, and who knows what after that.

Hunter fiddled with the items in the room and dropped a model of a female's pelvis to the floor when the doctor walked in.

"Sorry about that," he'd said, clumsily putting away the plastic form.

His breath held when the doctor measured and poked and prodded Blanche's stomach. And when that quick thumping of the baby's heartbeat, an echo which said, "It's here. I'm here. I'm real. Get ready." filled the room, Hunter's eyes widened into saucers.

His hand found hers, squeezing as they continued to listen. When the doctor asked them if they had any questions, he rapidly fired off a number of them. Enough to make the doctor hand him a list of websites and books and other resources from which Hunter can get his answers.

Right then, Blanche knew that they could possibly make it. Probably.

To thank him for going with her, she wanted to surprise him with a dinner she made. A little gesture of gratitude.

But as she stands there, with the inquisitive Daisy, Blanche wonders if it has been a good idea at all. She's about to excuse herself and leave the basket for Hunter, when she hears her name.

"Blanche?" And sees Hunter emerging from a door at the end of a long hallway, holding hands with a beautiful, red-headed vixen.

The worst part is he doesn't even let go of the vixen's hand as they stand in front of her. "What are you doing here?"

Blanche looks at Hunter, then at the woman. An ache burrows deep inside her. She's beautiful. He's handsome. They're both tall and effortlessly cool with colorful tattoos on their skin, a matching outfit of black shirt and dark jeans, and an air of je ne sais quoi. They make a striking couple.

"Red, this is Blanche. Blanche this is Red." Hunter makes the introductions. The way he says her name, a simple one-syllable, three-letter word, pokes at the green-eyed monster hiding inside Blanche.

Red's smile is effervescent as she finally lets go of Hunter's hand and stretches hers to Blanche. They do a quick shake, but it seems the woman feels it isn't enough. Red leans forward and wraps Blanche in a hug. Bee stiffens, a hug isn't what she expects to get from Hunter's lover. That's it. She must be that. One of his better choices. Then Blanche remembers what Jay said a few months ago about his brother being hopelessly enamored by a woman. What else did Jay say? Blanche wishes she'd paid more attention back then.

"It's so good to meet you!" Red releases her and glances at Hunter, who looks... boyish, younger somehow, shy even. Has he told Red about them? But what exactly did he tell her? The two of them share a look, a quiet understanding that only two people who have known each other long can have. That green eyed monster twists inside Blanche.

Blanche feels like she's a voyeur, witnessing something she shouldn't. She needs to get out of there. "I brought you a little dinner to thank you for this afternoon. Here." She thrusts the basket at Hunter, who then takes it with a questioning look. "It should still be warm. I hope you don't have any allergies."

"Yeah, I don't. Thanks, you shouldn't have, really, Honey Bee." Why? Why would he call her that in front of Red?

Blanche shakes her head, then nods, confused as ever. "Not a big deal. Okay, bye."

"Wait." Hunter reaches for her hand. She steps back and lets him catch only air. "Stay."

Blanche swallows the anxiety building. "Nope. I'm going home. I have some files to review and stuff and things. You know how Jay gets."

"You work with Jay?" Red asks. Of course she knows who Jay is. She must know everything.

Blanche nods, but Hunter answers for her. "She's Jay's assistant."

"Oh great. Please tell him I said hi... and Mare too," the vixen tells Blanche, then turns back to Hunter. "How are the boys? They must be growing like weeds."

"Yeah, they're great. You should come see them this Sunday for dinner," Hunter replies.

Sunday? Sunday night is family night at Jay and Mare's. Hunter is asking Red to join them. He's never asked Blanche.

"That would be fantastic! Can I bring Nana? She'd love to see the boys."

"Hells yeah! It would be awesome. Make sure Nana makes pie. I love her--"

"Sugar pie," they say at the same time, then laugh.

Enough. Blanche has had enough of this show. The Hunter and Red show. Dizziness swoops in. The rush of blood thrums through her head. She feels faint.

"I better go." Blanche doesn't wait for them to acknowledge her existence, they're much too happy to be involved in their own world. She rushes to the door and out to meet the cool night air. Only then, she breathes out. And sobs.

****
A/N: thanks for reading! The drama continues, of course.