The Sweetest Sunlight, Two - Age 6 (Elena POV)

"Now remember," My aunt Lysandra says to me just before we can walk into the divine smelling shop. "What are we not going to do?"

"We're not going to tell my parents," I say with an evil smile that drives my father nuts, one that I learned from my mother.

"And if they or anyone else asks where we were, what will you tell them?" she says raising an eyebrow and practically piercing me with her sharp green eyes.

"I'll tell them, we went for a stroll to the fountains and then walked back," I say with a firm nod.

"And when your mother asks why you smell like chocolate?" she asks one last time and folds her arms in a strong but kind cross.

"I'm going to tell her I got it from Uncle Aedion," I answer with no hesitation and she smiles at my rare obedience, but as long as I'm rewarded for it, I couldn't care less; especially when I'm being rewarded with chocolate: my favorite form of payment.

"Very good." she hums and takes my hand in hers with a pleased smile.

Letting a pleased smile of my own fall over my lips, I take her hand and fold my small fingers over her larger ones. The two of us have formed somewhat of an agreement when it comes to sweets, but to be honest, there may have been another reason I wanted to come here today.

The second we walk through the worn but sturdy wooden door, a thousand heavenly smelling scents flood my nose, pastries, pies, cakes, cookies, candy, and best of all, chocolate. While the urge to keep my eyes shut and breathe in the scents for an eternity, I open them and let my keen fae eyes rake over the large room.

Tables and chairs adorn one side of the room near the windows where a delicious light floods through, shelves and display tables take over the other side of the room, treats on them ranging from breads to crystalized sugar, with the counter in the back where even more sweets have been laid out, cabinets and what looks like storerooms and halls to the back.

"Lady Lysandra," The man behind the counter - the baker - says, leaning down in a polite bow, as my Aunt pulls back the emerald hood of her coak. Lifting his head to look at me, I stare back through the shade of my own peacock-colored hood and watch as his eyes shine with recognition and he bows again deeply my way. "Your Highness."

"Summer blessings, Rondel," My aunt says kindly and walks closer to the counter, dismissing the stares and peering eyes now thrown our way.

"And to you as well." he smiles, the scent of nerves fading away. "How may I help you?"

"We were looking for something sweet after our walk," she says smoothly but I find my ears tuning out the sound as my eyes roam the section specifically for chocolate. "Preferably something chocolatey," she says sensing my wandering gaze.

"Of course," he says gesturing with a hand to lead us in the direction of the table, and I follow a step behind. "Something with fruit perhaps or nuts?"

Pressing my fingers against the glass, I tune out their voices entirely as my eyes weave through the plates and bowls filled with chocolates in the display case. Truffles and rounds, bits that have been molded into flowers and birds, curls and shavings, and then my eyes catch on something else.

Not in this case but the one next to it sits a plate of shimmering hard candy made flat and clear like a mirror, dusted with sugar and white toffy on the edges. And hanging from the top, reflecting in the bottom, are balls of blown sugar, perfectly round and clear, some with holes where delicate violets have been placed and rose petals.

"Careful, they break easy."

Whipping my head back up, I peer over the counter to see Coen standing there watching me with a smile across his lips.