Part 24: Good Girls Don't Cry

Start from the beginning

I started to shake and rested my head on his chest.

The men put their weapons down and Titus hushed me.

"Good girl," he rubbed my back and kissed my hair, looking at the sky as he heard my weeping die down, "You're so strong... you've always been, and I'm so proud of you."

I clenched my fists in his shirt, "It hurts Titus. I don't want to hurt anymore."

He sighed, "I know baby. Look at me."

I rose my head and looked into his deep blue eyes. His hair had gone completely white, and it was blowing so gracefully.

"I can't hurt you anymore. My time is up."

"Titus I lo-"

He put a finger to my lips. He knew those words would haunt me if I managed to get them out.

"I'll always be watching over you and our child," he said, "you can go love again."

I looked away and he turned my chin back towards him, "Promise me you'll let go of me and keep living on, Zyla."

"I can't," I shook my head, "please don't make me do this."

"No more running..." his eyes watered.
"Promise me you won't waste your time."

My heart skipped a beat and I could sense the pain in his voice. I had never heard him so weak.

"Vow to me baby," he whispered.

"I promise..." I started to choke up again.

He gave me that charming smirk, but he couldn't fool me now. He didn't want to leave me either, he just had too.

"Alright, cocoa puff. Do it. Daddy's orders."

I almost laughed through the tears that were daring to fall down my face again.

I just wished I could tell him all of how I truly felt, but it was too late for that.

"Thank you for your time Titus. You were my everything."

I kissed him and placed the knife into his chest.

A tear fell down his cheek and his hands dropped from my torso to his sides.

When my clock trinket clicked with the bullet pendant around his neck, all I could think of was how I even ended up here.

Losing once more...

But I did have something to gain, thanks to him.

Another chance.

I took my lips off of his and looked at his peaceful face.

I had given him my time for as long as he remained alive. It's what he wanted and I had pulled through and delivered his wish.

His time was up now.

I had finished my mission.

•••

"All of  Titus's belongings have been given to you, miss."

"Oh, no. I can't take this."

"He insisted," the man said, "if I don't force you to take it, his ghost will surely find a way to murder me as well."

I laughed, "Alright. I'll take it."

The man gave me the keys and I walked into Titus's house.

"Daddy's home," the system said.

I rolled my eyes and picked up the puppy that was circling around my feet.

He's been acting so sad since Titus's death.