Part 16: A Living Nightmare

"Yoyo

"Yoyo..." I went to hug her but she backed up.

"Who are you?" she asked.

My heart sank. "What?"

"Uh..." She fixed her glasses, "I'mma go. You cute though."

She turned around and I grabbed her arm, "Please say you're joking."

"Please take your hands off me before we have a problem ma'am." She gave me that 'bitch back ten feet away before I bury you ten feet under' smile.

I let go and my tears stopped flowing.

I watched her walk off to go flirt with some girl in the bar.

Was the liquor making me see things?

Did he do this...?

"Zyla I have all the information I need," Titus came up from behind me.

I laughed and walked away, shaking my head.

He started following close behind, "Their headquarters is surprisingly not too far away. If I could just..."

He noticed me biting my lip again.

"What is going on with you?"

"I don't know Mr. take away everything I love," I smiled sarcastically, "What is going on with me?"

"What."

I pushed out of the club doors and started speed walking down the sidewalk.

Who gives a damn if people see me now.

Humans always love to kill others in alleyways right?

I found one and sat by a dumpster.

"Get up. Do you know how filthy that i-"

"Shut up!"

He stopped and watched me curl up.

"Come on Zyla," he whispered, "what's the matter?"

"You claim that men who hurt women's hearts are the worst..." I mumbled as my heart continued to break, "but all you've ever brought me is pain."

His eyes widened and he started walking towards me, "Zyla, no, I-"

It all felt so familiar and I laughed.

I was tired of these men and their broken promises. I was better off on my lonesome.

"I'm just a slave to you. As I was to him," I whispered, laughing a bit.

He stood there like the lost pup he was.

"You can't fight sin with sin," I said and bit my lip, trying to hold back the tears that I felt were unnecessary to let fall.

"You're no different, Titus."

Before he could get any closer I got up and slapped him, "Never again," my voice cracked.

I meant it.

I walked on and left him standing there in the silent agony emerging throughout him.

"Never again..."

•••

"You've been walking awfully long, miss." I heard someone say and looked to my left to see a car pulling up beside me.

It was Duggard and Easton.

"I like to walk," I lied and kept going.

"Alright well, if you ever need a ride or anything, you can come to us," Easton handed me a business card between his two fingers, smiling.

He maybe could charm others, but all men looked like mistakes to me now. I couldn't bother to be phased.

"Thanks."

They drove off and Easton didn't stop looking back at me before turning to Duggard to whisper something.

I looked up at the sky as I walked and I heard another car pull up beside me.

"Come on in babygirl," I heard Easton say.

"Y'all are seriously back?" I asked, annoyed.

Duggard took his hands off the wheel, "You're a wanted woman. Your next best bet is us."

"Want some candy?" Easton asked all creepily.

The hell he take me for?

Duggard shook his head and took his cigar out of his mouth, "Stop scaring her and help her in."

•••

"Make yourself at home sweet cheeks."

I looked around, clearly skeptical. "Thanks you guys. Really."

"Anytime," Easton winked, "Well bro I'm gonna head back to the club, I met this gorgeous lady and I think she misses me."

Duggard rose an eyebrow, "Somebody misses you?"

I held in a laugh and Easton shook his head and started walking out, "Whatever. Deuces."

I turned my attention to Duggard who was just smoking and reading a newspaper.

"What are you? Fifty?" I asked.

He glanced up at me, "In inches, maybe."

He smirked when my expression changed.

"So how's your life been?" He put his newspaper down and patted his thighs.

I sighed and sat down on his lap, leaning my head on his chest, "Don't even want to talk about it."

"You aren't the real murderer, are you?"

"Of course not."

He rubbed his beard, smiling, "But you are Valerian's sister. Correct?"

I turned my head to look at him and got up, "How do you know my brother?"

"Let's not talk about that," he said as he turned on some slow music, "How about we have some fun?"

I shook my head, "I think I'm better off somewhere in the road. Goodbye."

J started walking towards the door and right when I turned it open, he came behind me and shut it.

"You hate that man with all your heart, don't you?" he breathed down my neck, "Why even be near him when he doesn't have all I have? I could give you more...so much more than this pain and suffering."

I swallowed hard and he chuckled, "Besides, once he finds out you came with us, you're as good as dead. So..."

He started untying my torso, "Why not just stay with us? You'll have everything you need, even precious things that you've lost."

I turned back to look at him, slapping his hand away, "What could you possibly give me back that I've lost?"

"Freedom."