CHAPTER 3 | A CHOICE HE DIDN'T MADE

"He is mute!" Ian  heard someone whisper loud enough for him to hear.

A five year old Ian tighten his lips and continued playing with the Lego set.

"Oh! That's why he didn't talk to me no matter how much I called him!" A voice gasped.

"You better stay away from him!" Ian heard the chubby boy who always takes away his share of evening snacks warn, "If you stay with him, you will become mute like him!"

Some girls gasped.

Ian  rolled my eyes.

He don't know much but Ian  remembered his mom had told him that a person's muteness can't be passed on one person to another.

Plot twist, Ian is not mute.

Ian  just didn’t like talking with anyone. The kids in his kindergarten were loud and noisy and cry over small things. They were really stupid too.

Ian  continued building a house with the Lego sets when he heard fast footsteps come towards him. Before, he could look up at the person, the person kicked his Lego house and burst out laughing.

Ian  looked up and glared at the chubby boy. He didn't remember his name and he didn't bother knowing it.

"Is the mute boy going to cry?" The boy taunted.

Ian said nothing.

"Keith! You shouldn't go near him or else he will pass his muteness to you!" A high pitched and whiny voice called.

So, the fatso's name is Keith.

Keith smirked as he began his annoying chant, "Mute! Mute! Mute! Mute!"

Ian  pulled his knees close to his chest and covered his ears. He cast his eyes downwards and focused on the Lego sets the fatso had kicked, hoping the teacher comes soon and pinch his ear.

Even though, the teacher pinches his ear, he knew Keith will come to tease him again. And again.

Will bullies ever back off?

"MUTE! MUTE! MUTE!"

Ian  closed his eyes tighter.

He woke up with a jerk and looked around.

He was still on his bed. The bright morning sun shone on his face through the window.

He glare at the open curtain.

Ian's mother loves coming early in his room and pull open the curtains letting the sun light fall right on his face, disturbing his sleep.

Thankfully, it wakes him up from his nightmares too. Ian’s mind wandered to the time, the incident in his dream took place.

It had been almost twelve years. Ian still didn't talk with people much. The bullies and teasing were also accompanying him till now. Although they have taken another form.