#5 Rest and Recovery

Sleep my child, never wake. Rest your body, so you can create. Rest your mind, you're running out of time. Rest your heart, let it start. Rest your soul, there is a hole.

I blink my eyes open. It's not light outside, or maybe that's just because the curtains are drawn. I look down at my arm. I'm hooked up to an IV. It makes me queasy and dizzy, so I pull it out. I remember getting up a couple of times to use the bathroom, and I do that again. I look at myself in the mirror. I don't look too good. I have a bunch of fading bruises and scratches. There's a bandage on my side and I take it off. There's a gash under the bandage that starts bleeding again when I take the bandage off, so I close the gash up with my energy. Who would have cleaned me up? I wonder as I grunt and finish regenerating and fixing my damaged cells. I throw the bandage in the trash and exit the bathroom.

As I return the room, I see Natasha sitting on the bed. I freeze and look at her.

"а ты говоришь по русски?" She asks. Do you speak Russian.

"да." I reply. "мой папа был русским."

Yes, my dad was Russian.

I pause. And I had nothing better to do in the lab. I think to myself.

Seeing my discomfort, Natasha switches back to English. "Do you feel better Katya?" She asks.

I nod. "A lot. I needed some sleep."

"We think you tried to do too much in too little time. You overworked yourself. After all you're only a kid and you fought off a huge beast practically alone." Says Natasha.

I could use one more round of sleep.

"What happened to all the, all the wolves?" I ask.

"We killed them or they escaped." She says.

She doesn't meet my eyes.

"How many escaped?" I ask.

"Not many." She replies. "We're tracking them down now."

I nod.

"Where am I? What time is it?" I yawn and ask. "This is such a soft bed I could sleep here for days." I say, curling myself into a human ball on the corner of the bed.

"You're in my room, you've been asleep for about a week." Says Natasha. She checks her watch. "It's 6:00, the guys are probably going to want to eat soon if you want some food."

"A WEEK?" I jump up. "No way, that's crazy!"

I look around. I couldn't really tell it was someone's room. It's so, empty. There's a couple of pictures and a child's drawing on the nightstand, but other than that there's nothing.

"Do you remember anything that happened?" Asks Natasha.

"I remember everything." I say. I study the woman. Her body language, much like mine, is defensive even though we're just sitting here chatting. Chatting...never in a million years would I have thought I'd be chatting. At least I think this is what chatting is. I'll have to remember this conversation forever and...

"Katya."

"What?" Natasha is staring at me expectantly, I realized my mind must have wandered off.

"You remember the terms? Either you stay out here or we turn you over to the government?"

"Yes." I nod, looking off into the distance

"It'll take you some time to adjust but you'll adjust." Natasha holds out her hands, palms upward.