Chapter Twenty-Nine: Giving

“A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal.”

-          Steve Maraboli

Arin settled down that afternoon with Matt, a big box in front of him. “These are some of your get well soon letters.” He informed the vocalist. “We’re gonna start reading these to you.”

They only read four that day. Brian came in as Arin was finishing the third. They were simple and generic, the whole we-love-you-feel-better-soon deal. The fourth letter, though, was different. It touched Arin and the guitarist at his side, and Arin could only hope Matt felt the same. The girl who wrote it seemed to genuinely care about Matt, the lead singer for the band that saved her life. She was struggling with depression and self-harm, things were rough for her at home. Her name was Maddie, and she seemed absolutely wonderful.

“I’m going to write her back.” Arin said, folding up the letter and tucking it in his pocket. “I think she’d like that.”

“We could sign a guitar and send it for her.” Brian added, and Arin smiled.

“Yeah, that would be good. What do you think, Matt?”

At this, the musicians exchanged a small smile. “It’s settled then.” Brian said, and began copying down Maddie’s return address.