Chapter Nine: The Song

"On a completely safe note," Eris began, "Our last game before the mountain is a talent show."

A wave of excitement washed over the competitors. They were given a stage and an hour to prepare their talent. Avelle knew what she wanted to do for her talent, she wanted to sing.

As she was warming up, Avelle wondered what song she was going to sing. She knew a few songs from when the radio would play popular hits, but she really didn't feel like singing a pop song. She thought about singing a Disney song, but then she realized that she would need permission to do that and then she'd have to pay the company. She'd rather not do all of that work.

"Wow," said someone behind her, "You are GOOD!"

Avelle beamed, "Thank you. I'm Avelle."

"I'm Phoenix," said the girl, "And I'm a songwriter. I wrote a song. Maybe we could do the talent show together?"

"Ok," said Avelle, "Can I see the song?"

Phoenix gave her the song. It looked simple enough to learn in about forty five minutes yet brilliant enough to blow away the crowd.

"And I thought the music industry was hopeless," mused Avelle.

"Oh no," said Phoenix, "They are. They are absolutely hopeless. No one wanted to help me publish this song because it didn't have words like 'kiss' or ' true love' or whatever."

This song was about becoming stronger, growing and being different and proud. Avelle loved that song.

After many rounds of practicing and editing the song, Avelle and Phoenix were ready to perform.

Avelle was experienced with singing in front of a crowd, as she had done it many times in the orphanage. Phoenix, however, was terrified. Phoenix's little wings were shuddering and flapping as if they were designed to take her away from what she feared.

"Hey," said Avelle, "Don't worry. We are in this together. Alright, song sister?"

Phoenix liked that and giggled, "Yeah. What should our band name be?"

Avelle didn't miss a beat, "Songbird Sisters."

They were last on the list to perform. Phoenix shuddered. "Don't worry," said Avelle, "The one who goes last will remembered the most."

"But they will remember our failure!"

"We won't fail."

Bradley went first. He tried archery. He was really good, he didn't miss a single target.

A few more people went. One did a reading of a short story. One painted. One danced. Someone even presented an invention. One brave soul played Canon in D on a whoopee cushion.

Jimmy's performance had set the bar to the ground, with utterly awful 'jokes' that were downright bigoted. The next competitors presented their talents, but no one could shake off the vibes Jimmy put into the room.

That is, until Avelle and Phoenix, The Songbird Sisters, went. Their song was about being different and being proud of it. What better comeback to racist and sexist?

Apparently, none. The crowd went wild. Avelle and Phoenix took a bow. Eris was in tears. After the show, she went to speak with Jimmy about his behavior.