Chapter 6 - We Interrupt This Program...

Start from the beginning

"I did, and I have the same sentiment! I would love to meet him again!"

"Hey, did you hear that? She wants to meet me again."

"Well, of course she does. She's a huge fan of yours. I still think that she's just doing all this for attention. 2021, seriously... that girl is off her goat."

I dismissed that, and I watched and listened intently to the TV. 

"What's your favorite song of his?!" asked the Mr. Houden.

"It hasn't come out yet!"

"Fascinating! When does this song come out?!"

"1973!"

My brows shot up. "Whoa! 1973?"

"She's making it up, Elvis!" the Colonel piped up. "I say you turn that off and stop listining to that crazy girl."

He went for the TV, but I put an arm out. "No, no, no, just a minute. I wanna listen to this."

He huffed and went and sat back down at the table. Mr. Houden shouted, "Incredible! Elvis is famous into the 1970s?!"

"Yes, of course!"

"How about the 80s, 90s, 2000s?!"

A look of uncertainty came to her face, then a look of alarm. She looked right into the camera, then passed it. She pressed her lips together. I knew that look. I would get that look when I wanted to get out of a place as soon as possible. She was feeling what I had felt a few times.

"C'mon, say somethin'," I egged. "C'mon, am I popular decades from now?"

"Okay, okay, I think Miss Brier has had enough!"

A blonde lady suddenly pulled her through the crowd, and said crowd followed her until she was through a back door. The camera shifted to Mr. Houden.

"Well, looks like she's gone, folks, the girl from the future." He turned to a random blonde girl who looked no older than twenty. "Miss, do you think that Miss Brier is really from the future?"

"Oh, I don't know about that, I just wanted to meet her and be her friend because she's met Elvis. I've always wanted to meet him, and if she's met him, she might meet him again. I want to be there when she does."

I rolled my eyes at that but smiled at the same time. Of course that was the main reason why those girls were there to meet her. "I see," said Mr. Houden. "Do you think that she'll meet him again?"

"I think so. Elvis said on the radio that he wants to meet her again, and she wants to meet him again, too, so I think it's going to happen."

"Well, I guess we'll see."

The TV suddenly switched off. I looked up at the Colonel. "Hey!"

"Alright, that's enough. Eat your lunch, and then we have to head out to the Sullivan building to prepare for the show tomorrow. You're going to be singing some of your songs. We want to make sure you and they are ready for that."

"Fine, fine," I gave in. I took up my burger and started eating it again. As I had a mouthful of the beef, tomato, cheese and condiments, the suite phone started ringing. Knowing I wasn't supposed to answer the phone, I stayed put as the Colonel went to answer it. It sat on a table next to my bed.

"Colonel Tom Parker," he answered and was silent as he listened. "Yes, I saw the news. We both did." Silence again, and I swallowed. I turned and looked at my manager, the black phone to the side of his face. "You want to what? No, I don't think that's a good idea." Silence. "No, I can already say he would be all for it, but I'm not going to allow it. That girl is just wanting attention." Silence. "Yes, yes, I know that she's basically a star now, I just don't want to add wood to the fire here. He's pretty taken with her." Silence. "Okay, okay, I'll ask him. Don't go anywhere."