Chapter two: new friend

Jongin

Chanyeol and I had just met up at school before it had started. As soon as he spotted me, he ran up to me, asking about yesterday's event. "What did they say? Please tell me," Chanyeol begged curiously. We were in our classroom and waited for the teacher to start the class. 

"Later, Chanyeol," I teased, "the class will start soon." He pouted, then gave me a playful glaring stare. "You should've auditioned yourself if you're that curious. I'm sure you would've passed". I smiled but shook his head.

"Nah, I don't really want to become a trainee. I don't want music to be my job. I love playing instruments, but I only want it as my hobby," he explained, "you know what my real dream is." 

"Yeah yeah, find your soulmate and marry them," I laughed and he nodded with a grin. It was a stupid - but cute - dream. Chanyeol was that kind of guy who would sacrifice everything for someone he loved. When he'd find someone who'd love him as much as he'd love them, I'm sure he'd do anything to keep them both happy. That's just his personality, and I was glad we're best friends.

"Congrats," I heard someone say behind me, which made me glance over my shoulder. 

I expected to see a classmate smiling towards me, but I didn't spot anyone looking in my direction. I wondered if they were too shy or embarrassed to look me in the eyes or something.

"You heard that as well, right Chanyeol?" I asked him just to be sure I was not going mad, which wouldn't have surprised me for that matter. 

"Someone congratulating?" he asked, which I nodded to. "Yeah." He had heard it too, which meant I was not going mad, although I was utterly confused as I couldn't tell whom it was. 

"Has someone other than me in our class also passed?" I asked, which Chanyeol only raised his shoulders to. 

I pushed the thought away and concentrated on the class when the teacher entered the room and went on with the class. 

It was finally lunch after what felt like too long; Chanyeol and I sat at an available table to eat on. The day had felt too long for my liking, and I was looking forward for it to end. I was tired, but I planned to go and train later with my dancing.

"Hey, can I sit here?" asked someone who interrupted my dreamy thoughts about me being a trainee.

"Sure," both Chanyeol and I said at the same time. He sat down on the other side of us and ate his lunch. I was staring at him without noticing myself until Chanyeol nudged me slightly on the arm, literally giving me death stare.

"You're Baekhyun, right?" I asked just to be sure. If I remembered right, he's in class A, whilst we're in B.

"Yeah," he answered with a nod, having his mouth full with food, not being able to speak. "Where are your friends?" I honestly didn't remember him being with anyone. I hadn't noticed him being alone, but I didn't remember him spending time with a friend either.

"He just became a trainee and skipped school until now to practice his singing," he answered after swallowing his food. "Congratulations by the way, Jongin, I saw you on the board." 

I nodded and smiled gratefully, and then continued to eat more. "What place did your friend come at?" I asked out of curiosity.

"I don't think he likes it when people know what place he was placed at. He wants to become nr. 1," he explained shortly, "he doesn't understand what he's missing." He mumbled the last part, like he was just talking to himself, although we heard perfectly.

 I didn't know what to reply, so I just kept on nodding whilst eating, trying not to continue the topic. 

"I heard you liked to sing and was in a band last year," Chanyeol chatted on, "why did you quit?" 

Baekhyun looked to be a bit nervous by his question as he played with his fingers and intertwined them before answering. "I noticed it was no point as I have a terrible stage fright," he said, a bit nervously, "I'll never be on stage, and being in a band and having a stage fright doesn't match very well, does it?" He had stuttered sometimes between the sentences, and he looked a bit uncomfortable talking about himself. 

I nudged Chanyeol with my leg under the table, but he didn't take the hint to stop talking like the doofus he was. 

"I heard your voice is amazing." 

Baekhyun smiled awkwardly, adding a small thank you, but looked to be hoping for him to drop the conversation.

"It's the same as you Chanyeolie," I laughed and caught both of their attention, "you don't want to sing, nor be doing music in particular. You just have a bigger dream overlapping this small one, so you chose the latter. I'm sure it's similar to Baekhyun, only different when it comes to his decisions." 

Chanyeol seemed confused, but Baekhyun smiled warmly towards me. He nodded weakly thankfully. 

"Well, I'll let you chat a bit," I said as I stood up, "I need to go to the toilet, and I'll practice a bit for myself afterwards." I waved as I walked away and did my business at the Gentlemen's restroom. It was still twenty minutes left for the break before the class would start, and I practiced a bit on my dancing on the rooftop where I knew no one would interrupt me.

It was already becoming rather late in the practice room. My sweat was running from my forehead and downwards onto my cheeks. My neck was really wet, and I felt like my body was burning up. I had been dancing nonstop, and it felt like I was about to collapse. 

I turned off the music I had put on, and packed my stuff whilst drying my sweat with a towel I brought with me. I noticed every light close by was off, expect from mine. 

I turned off the light in my room as I exited it, and then walked down the hall to go home. It was very quiet around me, and I called out sometimes to check if someone else had passed out here from hard training. 

As I went down the stairs to first floor as I was originally on second floor, I heard some noises getting closer. I walked closer to the room where I heard the noise and noticed it was someone singing. 

I stood completely frozen by the the door to the room and leaned onto the door to hear better. 

It was a person singing from inside; I could hear the voice clearly, and God it was so beautiful. He really had talent, I thought for myself with my jaw hanging, did he place 1st place? 

Wait, there's something that's not right. It's beautiful, yes, but something was missing. It sounded way too stiff, like the guy didn't put his emotions in his voice at all. There was no feelings into it. But his voice was truly angelic.

The voice suddenly stopped singing, causing me to panic as I didn't want to be caught listening to him in secret, so I quickly ran up towards the front door. I eventually managed to get home in safety, and I immediately passed out as I completely collapsed on my bed, not evening bothering to eat before I was knocked out.