3 - The Werewolf King

Magsimula sa umpisa

Her voice was like camomile tea to my ears, it soothed my senses as the sweet sound met my hearing, and suddenly my lungs gave in and filled once more, I felt my shoulders relax.

"Don't apologise Madi," Alpha Falkov spoke up as he placed a comforting hand on her shoulder. "It's just a big old mutt who could have seriously injured my daughter." He accused.

A low snarl left my lips. "What did you just call me?." And watched as the young lioness drew another step away from me and behind the comfort of her father, the thought of my voice terrifying her when hers soothed me sent a gut wrenching feeling to my stomach that I didn't quite understand, but I shook it off.

I wasn't angered by the clumsiness of this woman as I would have been if it were anyone else, I could feel the kind nature coming off her in waves and it confused me to my core. The Werecat race were full of superficial assholes who cared more about resources than the safety of their people, the women of the clan, although nurturing in nature, made a mockery of patriarchy with the responsibility of patrolling, fighting, punishments and hunting. But the curious golden hues of this young lioness didn't give me any indication of a malicious desire that could full fill any of these responsibilities.

"Alpha Falkov, Alpha Renwick." Zaros interjected, coming into my line of view with a charismatic smile on his face. "Let's not rage a war at this ball, especially not in the company my Mavis. Put away the claws." He teased, coming to a halt between myself and Darren.

I glanced briefly in the direction of Zaros' partner who stood clutching her glass in her hand warily, as if she were expecting a shift to happen at any moment. "Don't call me a mutt Darren, at your age I would watch my tone, you're not the agile feline you used to be." I spat lowly.

"Father, it was my fault I should have been watching where I was going." His daughter excused, once more I felt the softness of her voice soothe the raging demeanour growing inside of me, and after a second I no longer felt the desire to rip her fathers throat out. I cleared my own throat and perched my hand up formally. "Alpha Demetrius Renwick, king of the Werewolves." Was all I spoke, I heard Darren growl lowly when my hand surpassed his frame and towards the direction of his young daughter, who watched my hand for a moment before meeting my gaze. "It's not everyday i get to meet a clumsy feline." I teased, although my tone didn't shed any indication that I was joking around which confused the small lioness.

"Madeline Falkov, sir." She introduced as she brought her hand out to shake mine. When our hands embraced I grimaced in response to the sheer softness of her palm as mine enveloped it. I didn't miss the array of warmth that spread through my hand and up to my elbow as we touched and I noticed how her own eyebrows knitted together in question, she felt it too.

The warmth was intoxicating and I suppressed the desire to retrieve more of it by pulling her closer, it would surely rub Darren the wrong way and my old friend was right, to rage a war at this ball would be idiotic.

I remained a steady composure to not give off any idea of how her touch was affecting me, was this some kind of spell being casted on us? Did Cressida have anything to do with this? I willed myself to let go and dropped my hand back to my side, I caught the small smile she gave me when she too dropped her's, the sheepish look in her eye matched the feeling in my chest, the coyness I found oddly attractive.

Before I could catch myself in my mistake, I was already uttering the words. "Can I buy you a drink?"

She went to answer but her father intervened. "Remember your place Demetrius." He warned and I met his watchful gaze on me. "My daughter will not a be a pawn to your barbaric desires."

Once again I felt anger bubble inside me, his assumption that I desired his daughter was not wrong but his sheer distastefulness to the idea struck a nerve ending. The young lioness' cheeks burned red next her father. "I actually don't drink, father says it's improper." She excused.