7 - Not a Prisoner

Demetrius didn't return for a long time, and when he did I noticed he had changed into a black jumper which I found odd because it wasn't necessarily cold within the house. I certainly wouldn't be wearing the singlet if it were. When he didn't join me back in the kitchen I stood up from the stool and followed the direction I saw him go in.

"Why are you following me?" He asked, no doubt hearing the patter of my bare feet behind him, I sped up my pace enough until I was walking beside him. "Where are you going?" I responded to his question with a question, he didn't seem to appreciate that as a low grunt left his lips. "I have some work to do." Was all he said.

I stopped walking and it didn't take him long to notice. I wasn't sure whether Demetrius was comfortable with me joining him as pack business was none of mine, I was an outsider, a werecat.

"You're just going to leave me alone?"

"You can take this opportunity to explore the house, I'll be done in a few hours." He tried to persuade, I wasn't convinced. He began walking away once more. "Wait!" I called back to him. "I want to learn more about you, I'm not going to find that by snooping around your home."

I made a very strong point, unless I went through every draw and cupboard in this home I wasn't going to find out much about him just by roaming the halls, and I didn't feel very comfortable staying in the home of a stranger, essentially that's what he was. I only knew three things about Demetrius, he was the Werewolf leader, he was my soulmate, and he lived all alone in this large house.

****

"So you're the youngest of four children?" Demetrius concluded after I explained the family I had back home, having only met my father and Mika I wasn't quite sure he knew there were others.

It had been close to an hour since I convinced him to hold off his work and talk with me for a bit as we sat on my bed. I had learnt the following information about Demetrius.

He was actually Demetrius Renwick Jr, he enjoyed visiting the pack's schools and interacting with the future warriors, nurses, teachers and overall members of his community. He was fluent in Greek, this didn't come as such a surprise after all, our goddesses were both Greek.

I nodded my head with a small grin plastered on my face. "Do you have any siblings?" I responded. There was a long pause and I noticed how Demetrius' entire posture changed. "Not anymore." He answered in a low tone, it was heavy with a mournful undertone. Had Demetrius' siblings passed away?

I felt as though it was rude to ask what happened so I didn't dare utter a word, despite my curiosity peaking for this hidden information. He sensed this and sighed. "I don't have any family anymore, princess." He trailed off. I found myself placing my hand over his as it laid resting on top of my bedsheets, my whole hand ignited with the warmth of his touch as it had done so time and time before, it comforted me in this sorrowful moment shared between us.

Something had happened to his family, to his parents and siblings and the thought of what possibly took them from him threatened tears to spill from my eyes.

His hand twitched underneath mine. "I'm sorry for asking." I murmured. He shook his head but didn't say anything for a moment.

"My grandfather raised me from the time I was nine years old, he had to take over my fathers place when he died and the rest." He trailed off. "What happened?" I urged, unsure of whether I was doing the right thing but asking, it seemed as though he needed to talk about it to someone, as if he were admitting this secret for the first time in his life. "The rest were picked off one by one. My mother poisoned herself after my father's death, unable to live without her mate despite having two sons to care for."