Chapter Nineteen

The night of the engagement ball arrived. I had been a bit annoyed when the servants had thrown me into a pale pink dress. Though the fabric was different from the red dress and blue dress I had worn before. This fabric was thin and seemed to flow with every step I took. It's neckline was much more revealing than I would have liked and I was a bit surprised when they hadn't shoved me into a black dress that revealed no skin at all.

The ballroom hadn't changed much. Though the event of two weeks ago was still plagued in my mind. The way my father had tried to defend me, to keep me safe from the Prince's grasp haunted me. It was my fault he was dead, all my fault. I felt a soft tear slip down my cheek and I quickly brushed it away. I couldn't have anyone seeing me like this. Not now, not today.

I looked down into the crowds of people, it was the same as that night. Everyone danced and enjoyed the festivities, clueless to what was happening during the party. But tonight was the night that I would put an end to that. To the pain that the royal family has caused.

Placing a hand gently on my thigh, I felt for the dagger that was neatly strapped to my leg. The blade almost pierced through the light pink fabric of my dress and I was a bit afraid it would sink into the artery of my thigh. I let out a sigh of relief, I was hoping that it hadn't fallen out while I was being escorted down here.

"Introducing Lady Aurora Whitmore. The bride of Prince Damian Alexander Redburn and the future queen of Lightwood." A man announced as I descended the large staircase.

I resisted the urge to yell at everyone, stating that I would never be queen, I would never be the bride of the Prince. Had they not seen my resistance at the previous ball and what had happened when I had tried to reject the position and Damian. I suddenly felt the urge to look for my mother, though I knew she wouldn't be here. The King would never invite her, she might try to break me out.

"Aurora, darling. It's so good to see you." Calia said, taking my hand in hers. The touch of a mother came with the small gesture, helping me ease the ache from my missing parent.

All I could muster was a small smile. A smile that held only pain behind it.

"It is time for the future king and queen to share a dance." The announcer said and a violin began to play.

I wouldn't meet Damian's eyes as he took my hand from his mothers and forced me onto the dance floor. I gave Calia a pleading look as we began our waltz. Though I only received the look of a proud mother.

"Look at me love." Damian said, taking his hand off my waist and turning my head to face him. There was nowhere else to look besides his deep green eyes. The eyes that I could stand but at the same time couldn't look away from.

When he placed his hand back on my waist, I felt him pulling me closer until my hips were almost pressed against his. We stayed in time with the music despite not listening to it.

His eyes seemed to hold secrets as I continued to look into them. I wanted to find out what those secrets were, maybe they would explain why he is such a monster. Why all he did was hurt people. Good people who didn't deserve it, like my father.

For a split second I almost felt sympathy for him. But that vanished when I remembered how much he had hurt me. Anger flowed within me as everything he had done in the past two weeks resurfaced. He didn't deserve my sympathy. He didn't deserve anything.

At that moment, I thought of pulling out the dagger, it's blade pressing against my thigh with every dance step I took. Though I decided against it. If I did decide to kill him right than and there. Let his blood drip onto the elegant floor and stand over top of him in victory. But that would only get me killed along with Damian and I was doing this for freedom.

Soon the music stopped, he bowed, I curtsied and I practically ran off of the dance floor. I went straight for Calia, knowing that she would protect me from anyone who wanted to dance even if it was probably her son.

"Aurora, you and Damian looked magnificent, truly a match made in heaven." Calia sighed when I reached her. She was standing off to the side near a wall and beside a table of food.

"I really don't think we looked that good." I said, wondering why she was acting as if everything was okay. Last week she was telling me about all of her troubles with her husband and son. What had changed?

"Nonsense! You two will make an amazing couple." She smiled. I gave her an uncomfortable smile and turned to look at all the people dancing. "And you will have darling little babies!"

I suddenly saw something that caught my eye. It was Damian, going out onto one of the balconies across the dance floor. This was my chance. I ignored her comment on babies, deciding it could wait, I needed to take care of her son first.

"Would you excuse me Calia." I said and hurried away before I could hear her response.

The cold blade of the dagger pressed against my thigh as I walked toward the balcony. Nerves fluttered around in my stomach as I opened the glass doors to reveal my target. His back was to me, staring out into the night sky, he didn't seem to notice me. Good, I had the advantage. Sneaking behind him. I grasped hold of his muscular shoulder, it was a bit of a struggle, since he was much taller than me. Though I quickly slammed him against the wall behind us, before he could sense my hesitation.

A momentary shock covered his face, but changed into calm when he saw it was me.

"I didn't think you'd do something like this, darling." He said, a knowing smirk playing on his lips.

I didn't care what he thought I was doing. I just grabbed the skirt of my dress to reveal the dagger. His eyes caught the blade and I saw worry flash through his eyes, though it was there for only a second. I took hold of the weapon and pressed it against his throat

"Are you sure you want to do this Aurora?" He asked as I pressed harder, drawing a bit of blood. Though to my astonishment he didn't flinch.

"You took everything from me, I'm just returning to favour." I said, hot tears threatened to fall down my cheek, but I quickly shut them out. I couldn't let him see me that way.

"I can't believe you would kill your future king... let me rephrase, your future husband." He said, a sickening grin appeared on his lips.

I felt his hand suddenly grip my wrist as I went in for the kill. His strength over powered mine and he drew my hand away from his throat. Causing me to drop the knife in the process.

"But if you try anything like that again. I'll make sure I have your head on a silver platter." He said, releasing my wrist and walking back into the ballroom.

I fell to the floor and allowed the tears to fall. I knew that I had just blown my only chance at freedom

I sobbed on the ground, feeling the warm summer night breeze flow around me. I felt myself crumbling, if I had only killed him while we were dancing. It would have been much easier, though I might have died it would have been better than this. The world wouldn't have to suffer from the Redburn's wrath any longer.

"Aurora?" I heard somebody whisper from behind me.

My head turned up and I looked around for the person who called me name. Facing the edge of the balcony I saw a shadow. They climbed up into the light and my tears instantly stopped.

"Cas?"