Chapter Five

The week flew by and I could say I had enjoyed myself, but that would be a lie. I was forced into shoes, corsets, and cloaks. The caring and soft mother I had seen last week had disappeared and became much more aggressive with her presuits to turn me into a copy of every other girl she saw.

It was supposed to be a little colder on the night of the ball, so naturally my mother bought many coats and cloaks, over working the expensive part of her personality. My father came home in the nick of time, mother was about to buy an expensive diamond necklace from a suspicious looking merchant. Thankfully father had stopped her.

Throughout the week Cas would find me and wish to talk. I however would find an elaborate excuse to not. I knew exactly what he wanted to talk about, which would only make it more awkward than it was meant to be. The kiss, the payment he had wished I gave him for his knowledge.

I hadn't thought the aftermath of a simple kiss would be this excruciating. I couldn't speak to him without remembering the event, I could barely think of anything else other than his lips against mine. Though the only thing that distracted me was my mother and the night of the ball that was coming closer and closer everyday.

And soon that night was only a day away. I hadn't forgotten about Daphne's plan and her wish for me to visit her tonight. I was still incredibly suspicious of her plot and what she wanted of me, but I wouldn't speak my suspicions out loud.

"Father, Mother. I'm going to Daphnes." I called out that night. My voice echoed around the house and I could hear the footsteps of my parents running towards the front door.

"Darling, why are you going to Daphnes? The ball is tomorrow and it's late, you must get a good night's sleep." My mother said, moving down the stairs to stand in front of me.

"Well, she... umm... she's..." I struggled to come up with an answer. "She's helping me with my dancing."

"But Aurora, your dancing is impeccable, I made sure of that." She said as my father appeared beside her. I was true that my mother had made sure I knew how to dance, though I had forgotten a thing or two through the years.

"Yes Aurora, what your mother said. And you shouldn't be going out this late at night." My father said, taking side with my mother. Though I doubted he knew what we were talking about.

"But father, Daphne is an exceptional dancer and if she says I need work, then I need work" I pleaded. "I'll also take the horse."

I could see my father contemplating his answer.

"You can go, if..." I knew he could see the happiness in my eyes as he gave his answer. "You'll be back in an hour."

"Yes of course father." I agreed, giving him a smile as I walked out the door and towards the stable.

Clover seemed a bit tired when I placed the saddle on his back, though I didn't know why since it was only six o'clock and he had been home for a few days.

"Come on boy." I whispered to him as I hopped onto the saddle and rode out of our property.

I could see the sun setting on the horizon, filling the sky with different shades of yellow, red and orange. It was hard to see with the sun blocking my sight, though I still managed to ride into town and make my way towards Daphne's shop.

"Aurora? Is that you?" Daphne asked, her head poking out of her store when I dismounted Clove.

"Who else would it be?" I questioned, walking towards her. "Now let me in, I don't have much time."

She opened the door wide for me and I strolled in, the store hadn't changed much in the past week, though now as my eyes adjusted to the dark candle light. I could see a stunning midnight blue dress on a mannequin in front of me.