Chapter 4 - She's Worth Knowin'

Start bij het begin

I recalled the encounter. I leaned against the counter, and my heart started dancing at the thought of those very real blue eyes, brown hair, smirk... "It was amazing. I mean, I've been listening to Elvis all my life, and meeting him when he's starting out his career... wow."

"I'm jealous that you've had him longer than any of us."

My dancing heart dropped. People would want to know what happens in the future. How would I be able to tell them that their favorite celebrity dies at the young age of forty-two? No, I would keep that to myself. It would cause more of a commotion. "People where I'm from have had his songs longer. They're popular into the next century, and I'm glad that they are. If it wasn't for his music, I don't think I would've been able to get through life. I've had it pretty rough."

Sharon put a hand on my shoulder and squeezed a little. "I'm sorry. You know, we all have it bad now and then. I'm just glad that these stars do what they do so we can unwind."

I nodded. "I agree."

Maxie finished with the lapping and looked up at Sharon, he started making little woofing noises. Sharon grinned at her little dog. "Oh, you want some food now? Okay, okay."

She went and got out a little container of kibble from under the sink. She scooped a little up with a measuring cup and poured it in the other little dog bowl. Maxie went at the stuff greedily. She put the container of kibble away and looked to me. "Well, while he's eating his dinner, how about I show you your room, you can settle in, and then I make us some chow?"

"Sounds good to me."

We came out of the kitchen and rounded the wall into the hallway. We came into a room with a single bed with a pink blanket over it. There stood a dresser near a window with curtains to match the color of the bed. "This is the guest room. I'm so tickled that I can finally use it!"

I went and sat on the springy bed. "Thank you so much again."

"You're welcome. Ya know, I don't have to be at work until noon tomorrow. How about we go out and get you an outfit or two? Lord knows that you won't fit my clothes. Oh I wish that you could, though. I dream that I'm as skinny as you."

I smiled at that, flattered. People had called me a curvy twig before, but with Sharon, I took what she said as a true complement. "Thanks, and yeah, that would be great."

"People will undoubtedly recognize you."

"Yeah, and that's what I'm afraid of. How about I just stay here? I won't leave the house and... I don't know... I'll wrap myself up in a blanket the whole time."

"You'll do no such thing. How about this - I'll go to the department store and pick you up some things? I'll have to guess your size, though."

"You don't have to do that and use your money."

"I want to."

Her eyes twinkled as she smiled. She was a friendly gal, and trusting, to let in a total stranger into her house. On the flip side, I wouldn't just agree to live with some random person, but what other choice did I have? I was a few thousand miles away from home... and sixty-four years away, too. How nuts was that?!

"Okay," I said. "Thank you again."

"No problem. It's going to be like I have a younger sister. I don't have one of those, just an older brother. Anyway, I'm going to go make us some dinner. And while we eat, you can tell me about yourself a little more, I mean what you haven't already told the nation."

She left the room, and a radio suddenly went on in the kitchen, playing some jazzy lyrical song. My gaze moved around the little room. Pretty plain, but it was a guest room. I had Elvis posters all over my walls at home, so seeing empty walls was strange. I could obtain posters, for sure, since he was around! I met him!