Funeral

Part 1: Prologue
3 years earlier
April 22
Aubrey couldn't believe the sight before her eyes. The sight of her older brother's corpse being lowered into the ground. She couldn't help the tears that slipped out of my eyes.

Aubrey and her older brother Abraham have always been close. He relied on Aubrey's opinion when it came to any woman he dated. And Aubrey relied on her brother to help her with her parents.

When her brother died, it hit her the hardest. To hear that her brother was murdered in cold blood made her want to scream. They never learned why he was murdered and dumped in a ditch like he was trash.

To make matters worse, they haven't caught the man who killed Abraham. Aubrey couldn't believe that they never found the man who could kill her brother. But, she knew some corrupt officers probably kept the man from being caught.

Aubrey knew that Abraham was involved in the dirty parts of King City. She knew that her brother wasn't as innocent as he was with her parents. Aubrey has witnessed firsthand how he could go from sweet and kind to cold and ruthless.

"Aubrey," Aubrey's younger brother Jaden whispered.

Aubrey didn't notice the eyes that burned into her skin. She looked up and stared at everyone. Right, she's supposed to place the first rose on Abrahams's casket. Aubrey stood on shaky legs and inhaled a deep breath.

Aubrey looked to her right and saw her mother dabbing her eyes with a white handkerchief. Her father was next to her with his arm around her shoulder, tears sliding down his face. She hated that her father and mother were crying. No parent should have to bury their child, especially if their child were murdered.

Aubrey shook her head and walked toward the sleek black casket. She could hear the weeping of everyone who Abraham has touched. Aubrey clutched the single red rose in her hand, feeling the thorns through her black gloves. She didn't care if the thorns pricked her skin, didn't care if she drew blood.

It was only a temporary pain to forget about the real pain. The pain of her brother no longer being here. The pain of her brother not being able to meet his niece.

Thunder clapped overhead, and Aubrey couldn't help but flinch. It was like a flood gate opened, and the rain began to fall slowly. Aubrey kissed the rose and said a little prayer before she placed the rose on the casket.

Her heart fluttered as her hand grazed the cold, wet black casket. This was all too much for Aubrey to deal with, all too much for her unborn baby to deal with. Aubrey removed her hand and looked up. Her eyes locking with the man she believed to be responsible for this funeral.

Donte Benetti. Aubrey knew Donte was the reason behind Abraham's death, or he had a part in it, to say the least. He was the reason the entire city was falling apart. The reason multiple people were turning up missing or dead.

Aubrey clenched her teeth hard enough that her jaw ached. She turned around and tucked her freezing hands in her pockets.

Her brother Jayden had a white rose in his right hand and a small gold chain in his left hand. He gave Aubrey a small smile that she didn't return.

As Aubrey sat in her seat, her eyes locked eyes with Donte's again. He dipped his head in an acknowledging nod. Aubrey didn't know if she should wave or roll her eyes. She opted on dipping her head and tight-lipped smile.

Thunder clapped, and it began to rain harder as if the heavens were mourning the death of her brother. Her brother was a good man, and he was taken from this world way too soon. She will miss him, and she will regret her daughter never being able to meet her uncle.

Aubrey watched as her mother stood on shaky legs. She clutched the white handkerchief in her hand, dabbing it on her cheeks every so often—her father one step behind his wife, a hand on her lower back to keep her steady.

It was long before Aubrey was the only one left at her brother's gravesite. She stood from her spot and placed a hand on her slightly swollen stomach. Aubrey was three months pregnant, but she was barely showing.

Aubrey took a deep breath and turned on her heels. She paused at the man standing behind her, his eyes trailing over her body and stopping at the hand that was on her stomach.

Donte walked over, an umbrella in his hand, and he stopped in front of Aubrey. Aubrey got a better look at the man. His green eyes were almost a dark brown. The tattoos going up the sides of his neck and hands.

He wore a black suit and a black trench coat. He looked handsome, but Aubrey wasn't going to say anything like that to him.

"I'm sorry about your loss," Donte said as he placed the umbrella over her head. "And congratulations."

Aubrey didn't say anything, but she turned her eyes toward the casket that was slowly being lowered into the ground. Thunder rumbled, and Aubrey flinched. She turned her head, and she caught Donte staring at her, no emotion in his eyes.

"I need to go," She gave a small smile.

Aubrey brushed past Donte, the rain soaking her coat and hair. As she approached the car, she turned back and saw Donte was watching her. Her brother, Jaden, helped her into the car.

As they drove away from the cemetery, Aubrey made a promise to herself that she keep her daughter safe no matter what happens. Her city was trouble, and it will only get worse. And Aubrey knew her daughter wouldn't be safe in a city like this.

So, she promised herself she would leave this city of monsters before one of those monsters harmed her daughter. Before the city collapses from the inside out.

____________________________________

Hey guys! This is my new story! The cast chapter and this chapter are just to see if you guys are interested. This is my first time writing a crime, mafia, and gangster story. I just wanted to see if you all like it. I've been trying to write this for a while but I wanted it to be good.

Please let me know what you think! ❤️🥰