Chapter 24 - Preliminary rankings

Start from the beginning

Ly scoffed loudly. "No, it was mister sunshine over there." Ly pointed at Eric, and everyone chuckled. I smiled at the nickname, finding it appropriate and not degrading. "Cheerful as ever." She said sarcastically, rolling her eyes as she reached for a piece of cake.

"He threw Hunter out of bed because he was too slow." Myra added. "He's been really angry with him and Solomon ever since they missed the train yesterday." Myra sighed as she rested her forearms against the table, on either side of her plate.

I stole another glance at Eric who at that moment decided to stand up. He said a few words to Abby, who smiled at him as he stepped away from the table. Her eyes followed Eric when he walked towards Four. Abby then noticed my stare and raised an eyebrow at me as her smile grew even wider. That woman was too perceptive for her own good.

Eric passed our table, a little too close. I could almost feel his arm brush against my shoulder. I was unsure if it was to get close to me, or just to annoy the twins. Their scowls definitely grew wider when he did, where a satisfied expression emerged on Eric's face before he bent down next to Four. The two instructors exchanged a few words before Four also stood up.

The dining hall was slowly emptying, leaving only the initiates. Once empty, Four proceeded to pull out the screen we had used when receiving our first rankings. It was empty right now, leaving us all quite anxious to see the rankings. "Is there anyone who knows why they want to reveal our rankings now?" Luke asked, leaning over the table towards Tadeo and me. 

I shrugged but Tadeo answered. "I have a feeling that it's because they want us to fight harder now that the initiates program is coming to an end." Tadeo reminded us all of the painful truth. It had been almost seven weeks since the choosing ceremony. His reply was reasonable. Just as we had been able to choose them, they were now getting the opportunity to choose us.

Tadeo's words had placed a shroud over our table. It was a painful truth but a truth, nonetheless. We didn't really speak afterwards. My attention had shifted back to whatever it was Four and Eric were doing. I noticed how Max and the other leaders remained in the dining hall as well this time while all the other dauntless left.

"Welcome Initiates." Max suddenly stepped forth and addressed us all. Everyone stopped speaking and the room felt deadly silent. "This evening we will reveal the preliminary rankings, they will show you where you're placed at the moment and what you will need to fight for." Max walked a few steps to the right as a screen was lowered down behind him.

"The initiate training is coming to an end. This is where you must fight the hardest. No one is safe because the rankings is ever changing. The ranking you end up with will be imperative to what jobs you can move into." Max was even worse than Eric. Real gloom was placed over the dining hall at those words.

"Here are your rankings." Max presented, raising a hand towards the empty scoreboard beside him. Everyone turned to the screen as the names slowly began to appear.

1. Tadeo

2. Octavia

3. Isaac

4. Levi

5. Alice

6. Peter

7. Luke

8. Emil

9. Ly

10. Myra

11. Hunter

12. Roxy

13. Solomon

14. Sophia

15. Elijah

16. Samuel