"What's up?"

"... mom says smoking is bad for you, that it could kill you."

I smirked, "your mom is definitely right."

"I don't want you to die too..." she said with a pout.

"I won't die baby girl, I promise." Clearly as slick as I tried to be, kids were smarter than I assumed. "I'm just going out there to take a phone call. No smoking this time around."

"Okay." Her face automatically lit up at the sound of that, which made me smile as well. "See you soon." She waved.

"See you in a minute." I pushed the sliding door open and walked out onto the balcony, giving the skyline a quick glance before dialing the number and placing the phone against my ear. It rang for a while before it was picked up by this automated message.

"Thank you for calling Gospel Tabernacle. On behalf of this great ministry we would like to take the time out to let you know the Jesus loves you, no matter what the situation may be; he's got it all under control." I rolled my eyes and waited until the phone rang again. "Hello, my name is Missionary Hope, how are you doing today?"

"Hello, I'd like to be transferred to Pastor Alexander." I cleared my throat and began to pace."

"Uh, you have called the helpline sir. I am one of the ministers set in place to answer whatever it is you need help with."

"I understand that, but I wish to speak to the man in charge... if you don't mind."

"Well... we don't normally escalate calls to our Pastor as I'm sure you know, he's quite busy. I can assure you that whatever it is that you need help with, I am well and able to assist."

"I'm sure you are but as I said, I would like to speak to the Pastor."

"Sir, I'm sorry I can't do th-."

"Look lady... I am his son, Dominic Alexander. I would like to speak to my father, unfortunately this is the only way I can get to him. So please, can you just do that for me?"

There was silence for a moment, followed by what sounded like whispering. It was uncomfortable and made me feel on edge but before I could speak again, she returned. "Please stay on the line as I transfer your call." Music began to place immediately and I leaned against the railing, waiting.

Finally, the music faded and I heard someone hit a button on the other line. "Dominic..."

"Pastor Keith." I smirked. "Wonderful word today sir. It was really... inspiring."

"Dominic, I haven't heard from you in ages."

I laughed, shaking my head. "Look, there's no need for small talk. I just had a lot on my mind and I saw you on there and knew I needed to call in. I have questions that only you can answer."

"Well... I can try my best son."

"Dominic will do."

"My apologies, Dominic."

"Alright, it's pretty simple... I'm not close with the man above, as you can probably tell. I cuss, I do drugs, I got a whole baby on the way out of wedlock of course, I am as far from the perfect Christian as one could ever be. That was never the life for me and you know this, correct?"

"Correct."

"Which means, I can't just up and ask him questions out of no where. For the most part I'm sure he doesn't even know who I am. But you seem to know him well enough, so I figured it's best you ask my questions instead."