page eighteen;

-Cristiano-

I rolled around my bed in the Doha hotel in Dubai. I was terribly sore from yesterday's intense workout with the team. Ancelotti thought even though it was just a friendly we were going to be playing, it was still winter break technically and he wanted us as fit and ready to start up against our next opponent Valencia in la liga campaign.

My knee was killing me, Carlo Ancelotti told me I wouldn't get much playing time in the friendly because of it, I shouldn't risk getting it more jacked up then it already is. And I needed to get it checked out by the medical team as soon as we got back to Madrid.

Dubai was such a beautiful place but I missed my son, this was my first time being this far away from him, I had not spoken to him in days and it was the first time as a person I thought of someone else other than myself.

"Come on Cris and Fabs, it's time for breakfast" loud fist banged against my door. The voice was clearly Sergio's but the banging was much more harder and louder didn't match the rhythm of Sergio's and most likely was pepe's.

I looked to the bed that was at the other side of the room- a sheet was wrapped around the body of my teammate and best friend Fabio Contreao. He and I played together forever, when I was in Manchester United we were still very good and close friends because of our International duties with our national team.

I flung one of my white pillows across the room and it barely hit the sleeping man. "Wake up Fabs, it's time to get up." He responded with a groan and a few growls that only God could understand.

"suit yourself, I'll just eat your pancakes for you." I said in Portuguese knowing he understood that good and well. If there was one thing I knew about this man, it was that he loved his food probably as much as he loved his children. No one on this team ate more than he did.

"I'm up." He cursed in Portuguese sitting up.

"That's what I thought." I grinned.

"seriously cris, I need my full amount of sleep." He rubbed his eyes. "Beauty doesn't come this naturally, of course you wouldn't know."

"I'm not even going to argue with you, fab." I shook my head. I got out of my bed and walked into the single bathroom in our hotel room.

About 15 minutes later in I was out of the bathroom only to find Fabio right back to sleep. He wasn't going to get up anytime sooner unless I forced him.

"Fabio, you've got 15 minutes to be down there and that's how much I'm going to cover up for you before Ancelotti ask for you." I said as I changed into my white Real Madrid polo shirt. He groaned in response so I knew he heard it.

I grabbed my small black backpack and black SnapBack along with my hotel keys and walked out of my room. The team was downstairs in our private dining hall where we had breakfast, lunch and dinner. Dubai was a gorgeous place and I was hoping Nicolas and even Nicolette could of came with to enjoy the marvelous scenery.

Nicolette was a mystery, in our short time I learned and knew everything I could about her but she still surprised me. She still somehow found a way to be a total mystery to me. But It was actually quit a turn on.

I heard Sergio and Marcelo's laughter before I even walked inside the hall where the rest of the team was except Fabio and I of course. These two and including Pepe were the real life three stooges of Real Madrid. I didn't know how Carlo could have so much patience with these goofballs in the squad. But one things for sure they were one heck of football players.

"Look who's finally graced us with his presence." Marcelo yelled as I walked past his chair and sat besides him.

"Shut up." I looked at my empty plate. "I'm not the only one late." I remarked Fabios absence in the table, hopefully Ancelotti wouldn't notice. He absolutely hated tardiness when it came to the team but then again what coach wouldn't.

Sergio was sitting on my other side wearing a smirk on his face. "how's life as a padre?"

"Life's good." I chuckled. "How are you and Nicolette?"

Sergio shrugged. "Not sure, I asked her to be my girlfriend and she said she'd think about it."

I nearly chocked on my orange juice. He asked her? At first the thought of Sergio and Nicolette wasn't that bad, almost laughable. I didn't mind but now? Of course I mind. Things and feelings changed after Christmas, I don't know but I know for sure I didn't want him with or near her.

"Have you by any chance heard from her or talked to her?" He asked.

"Actually I've had a few missed calls from her last night." I shrugged. "But I was knocked out and didn't see them till this morning."

"You trying to steal my woman?" Sergio lightly punched my shoulder.

"Of course not." I shook my head. "It was probably just Nicolas trying to talk to me. I should call them back later."

"That's what I thought." He scoffed.

I chuckled at his behavior. I continued eating my breakfast waiting for Fabio to appear. I didn't want him to lose playing time or worse get finned for being late. I looked at my phone again, I had 17 missed calls from Nicolette, maybe I should of called her back this morning.

"Cristiano?" One of the assistant managers, Diego called my name from the door.

"Si?" I asked looking at him confused, his face was full of sorrow and concern and I wondered what he wanted to tell me, hopefully it wasn't bad news concerning my knee problem I've been having for awhile.

"can we talk to you for a moment, there is some unpleasant news we've just received from Madrid, it's erm concerning your son, Nicolas. " Ancelotti was now besides him sharing the same look full of concern.

"My son?" Nicolas? My heart was beating in a unthinkable manner, every bad thought was going through my heart. "What's wrong with him?" I got up ignoring the look of sympathy each and everyone of my teammates were giving me.

I followed Ancelotti and Diego to a closed room. "You might want to take a seat, cris." Ancelotti gestured at the empty sofa that was in the middle of room. I did as I was told and sat down with my hands on my shaky knee.

"What's wrong with Nicolas?" I demanded.

"We just got a call from his mother, Nicolette and she wanted us to tell you that he's been in a coma as of last night. He's thought to have ate goat cheese and was found in his room unconscious." Ancelotti looked down with sadness.

"What?" my voice croaked. "I have to leave, I have to get back to Madrid right now."

"We were hoping you'd say that. I've got the hotel to order you a car and your plane leaves later in the afternoon." Diego pushed his hands in his pocket sending me an apologetic look.

"I've got to go." I stood up abruptly, I needed to go see my son. Nothing was more important to me than him at the moment, I didn't care if I was going to be playing infront of royalty or anyone important. No game was more important than my son.

How stupid could I be? Nicolette tried to reach me and I didn't take it seriously or think anything of it. She most likely called to tell me about it last night and I would of been there by now if I would of just picked up.

I dialed her number as I went to my room. It went straight to voice mail. I dialed again. Nothing. I didn't again and it went straight to voicemail. I was scared now for the life of my son. I would die if anything happened to him, I loved him too much.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------