"I really like you"

When you all got home, Steve said he'd organize everything and that you and Bucky didn't have to stay up. He didn't have to tell you twice as you knew the paperwork would be hell.

You went to your room and got changed before climbing into bed, as you were almost asleep you heard a knock on your door. You went and opened it and where met with Bucky's ice blue eyes.

He smiled and you grabbed his hand pulling him in, "Hey doll," He said shutting the door before grabbing your waist to kiss you, as his lips brushed against yours you combed your hands through his long hair, he pulled away still hugging your waist, "you wanna talk?" He looked at you then at your lips.

You leaned in to whisper in his ear, a smirk curled at your lips, "Not right now,"

He let out a low chuckle and you pulled him into another kiss. He picked you up gently, letting your legs wrap around his waist, and started walking over to the bed. Your heart battered against your chest as his cool hand brushed over your lower back.

*time skip brought to u by um ew*

You laid your head on his bare chest as he played with your hair, the full moon reflecting softly off his left arm. You lifted your head and he furrowed his brows as you climbed over to his other side, you picked up the arm and laid it around your shoulder as you cuddled into him, he cocked his head to look at you and you did the same.

"It's nice and cold." You defended yourself smiling as you lay your head back on his chest, it vibrated with a soft laugh as he kissed your crown and went back to playing with your hair, this time with a nice cooling sensation on your scalp.

"What did you wanna talk about again?" You asked recalling what he said before.

"Oh, well you said earlier we shouldn't tell anyone before we know what this is," He paused, "I thought we would talk that out before we ever got to this stage but.." He trailed off, you thought about it before replying.

You knew you wanted more with the soldier but couldn't stop thinking about the team and everyone else; Their reactions, how it would affect missions, the field day the media would have with it. It all made it difficult for your brain to agree to a relationship with Bucky, but your heart knew none of that mattered if you really loved him - love was a strong word that you'd never used with anyone before but, with Bucky it felt like the right one.

You thought back to your mission today and remembered all the times you checked for him, of course, this was a no-combat mission but everytime you had the chance you looked to him to make sure he was okay, you automatically recognised that as a red flag. You were new to the whole superhero thing but you knew having relationships so close that it could ruin a mission was dangerous.

"Can I ask you a question?" You said sitting up, crossing your legs to face him as he laid in front of you.

"You just did," Hi smiled running a hand over your knee, a smile flickered over your face but quickly faded.

"If we were on a mission, everybody was there and we were all spread out, and I got- injured," You paused and avoided his heavy gaze, "if you saw me injured on one side of the room and the- bad guy or whatever on the other side, about to get away," You looked him back in the eye and gripped his hand, "who would you go to?" You asked, begging him silently to pick the right answer.

He sat up and ran his hand through his hair, before looking at you and smiling, "I'd go to you. Of course I would. I'd tell everyone where the guy was going and go to help you." 

You could see in his eyes that he thought that was the right answer, the way he looked at you, you could tell he had the same feelings for you as you did for him, but all you could think about was the logistics. You looked away and stood up out of bed, holding your face in yours hands and keeping your back facing him.

"Is that wrong?" He asked moving to sit on the edge of the bed, you closed your eyes and turned back to him, you wanted to forget about the whole thing and go back to laying with him in bed, but it would weigh heavy on your conscience if you did. You walked back to him, not making an attempt to hide the feelings of disappointed and sadness you had. Holding his hands in yours as he looked up at you, you let out a sigh.

"I really wish that was the perfect answer, god, I know it should be, but you can't deny it would be dangerous, to let a killer get away like that?" You held his face in your hands as he sat there, "I really like you Barnes, and I wish there was a way I could let this work, but I'm sorry."

You watched as any remaining happiness drained from his face, you took your hands away as he stood up and walked past you to pick up the rest of his clothes, you collapsed onto the bed, sitting where he had, watching him get dressed before walking to the door, he turned to say something but stopped himself, punching the wall in anger and leaving a small dent. He opened the door and left.

This had very quickly gone from one of the best nights of your life, to the worst.

***

Sorry loves but it's valentine's ! It had to be done <33