22| Bucky and Bingos

Start from the beginning

"Me? Fuck me? How is this my fault," figures. To Bucky, everything was always his fault.

"You're the one- you jinxed us."

"I jinxed you?"

"We were so confident before you talked about how Hydra would win," Bucky stated matter-of-factly. As if him saying Hydra could possibly win, he cost them the whole game. Oh, his bad, he must've been the one who messed up the play and Justin got the winning point.

Tony tilted his head, as if not seeing the correlation. Bucky narrowed his eyes at him making the smaller boy raise his hands in mock surrender.

"Excuse me, but I'm not the one who fucked up the last-."

"I'd chose your next words very carefully."

"Yeah? Or what? You're gonna hit me, James?" Tony challenged. For a split second, he actually thought he was going to.

Bucky seemed pissed. His eyes darkened.

"You act like you're all the shit and the victim. Like everyone is against you. Well, guess what, you're not. You were shit to her and don't you-," Tony blinked.

"I'm sorry, who's her?" He questioned puzzled. How was he supposed to take offense to his insults if he didn't know what he was talking about? (Joking. How could he do the perfect comeback?)

Bucky seemed to just notice his words. He stopped talking and turned white. Tony furrowed his eyebrows more. What was going on?

The long-haired brunette took a step back and took a deep breath.

"James, what "her" are you talking about?" Bucky shook his head. Fuck. Fuck fuck fuck.

Tony waited patiently for him to speak while Bucky collected his thoughts. It only took him about five seconds to find the right words. Well, wrong words.

"I don't- them. Steve, your friends. That's- I meant them," he replied and pursed his lips. For a liar, he sucked at lying.

"Do you mean Natasha?" Bucky furrowed his eyes and shook his head. Was James in love with Nat? God, what was it with the Bs and her. Bruce, Bucky... well that's all.

People started to flood out of the field. Tony wanted to get out as well before Justin even looked at him, nevertheless talk to him. Looks like that wasn't going to happen anymore.

Buck seemed uncomfortable. Seemed... guilty maybe? Tony tilted his head at him, trying to figure it out.

He looked up from the ground and at Tony, right into his eye. Tony was taken back by the eye contact.

"I'm sorry."

Okay, if the eye contact was surprising that apology must've been like... flabbergasting. Or other big words for surprised.

"What?"

"Everything that happened. Can we just... put that behind us."

Tony blinked. He wanted to rub his eyes. What was going on? Was this really happening?

"Are you- the James Bucky Barnes-."

"Buchanan." He corrected.

"Wait, really? I thought Steve called you Bucky because of your middle name?" Tony asked. Bucky shrugged.

"Yes."

"He made a nickname for your middle name?"

"Yeah."

"Why?"

"I don't know, it's Steve," Bucky finished with another shrug.

"Okay, can we go back to you apologizing? That must've hurt your head," Tony stated matter-of-factly, to which Bucky just shook his head in response.