Chapter 26: What to do when you have nothing to do

Hunnie's second exam is tomorrow and I'm all jittery about it but for now, that's not the most dominant emotion I'm feeling. The tea table is cool against my forehead. The house is empty since Hunnie is currently out on a date and I'm left alone with nothing to do. I finished all the homework – partly cause two of my lecturers have been busy themselves, something about being a councillor or something about checking for scientific authenticity for a tv show – which leaves me half the school-workload than usual. I tried watching tv, but after re-watching the first two episodes of the second season of Crime Scene for the fifth time, I realise that the other episodes are going to end up the same, with me trying to unbiasedly deduct the criminal and failing, still remembering who it was from the first four watches.

The notebook lay limp on the kitchen table, almost as if it's soaked by the hot and humid air. No, not really. It's just transferred epithet, at least in literature. In psychology, it's just called projection. I know it's impossible for the notebook to lay limp, especially since it has a hardcover which is why it's so pretty. It's impossible for the notebook to lay limp when it's storing all that hope and dreams inside of it. It's impossible for that notebook to lay limp cause there's no hot and humid air. I made that up. The air is cool and crisp from the air conditioning. But I can't help to feel like the air is hot and humid. Phantom sweat is trickling down my back. What should I do with myself? Did I update the list? Hunnie left just two hours ago. How do I not remember? I walk over from the tea-table where I was sitting slumped over to take a look.

          Objective 3

          STEP 3: Talk to ma and pa (half tick)

Oh, so I did edit it. How did the morning go again?

***

I was pressing the number on my phone. It started ringing. Hunnie was holding my hand. It was cold, her hand, cold and comforting. My hand was hot, so hot it was burning its own skin. Her hand was a relieve. The call was ringing. And then, and then? Then it died. Then I press call and it was ringing again. And dying again, then it rang on its own and I press accept. Yes, I think I did accept the call. I said hello and my dad picked up.

"Yo," he said. That was funny.

"Yo? Where did you learn that?"

"It's the trend isn't it?"

"Only for some people."

"Oh, maybe I'm one of those people."

"Maybe."

"Cool."

"How are you?"

"I'm fine, how are you?"

"Same as always. Fabulous."

"Right."

"Want to speak to Hunnie? You guys are like spirit animals, I don't understand."

"Oh, sure! Put her on."

I turned to Hunnie who looked at me wide-eyed. 'No, you have to tell them!' she mouthed. Right.

"Uhm, dad."

"Are you free sometime next week?"

"I think so. Why?"

"I might stop by. I need to talk to mom."

"You sound serious. Are you okay?"

"Yea, I'm fine, just need to talk."

"Oh, okay, I'll tell her. She'll be over the moon she might start orbiting."

"Thanks, dad."

I hung up the phone and smiled. "Well, that went well."