Chapter 21: The First Step

Hey guys, I'm back again. By now, y'all could probably tell that it's going to keep being this slow until the end, but there's not much I can do. The characters and the plot have overtaken and they're just doing what they want. I'm sorry if it gets too boring after a while. If you reached this point and you still enjoy it, bravo! Brownie points to you!

~~~~~~~~~~

Today, I woke up alone. Hunnie has an early shift, a full working day until nine at night. It was eight-fifty-five when my eyes blinked open. The sun was already high in the sky and Hunnie has most probably reached the shop by then. Being completely alone, I took things slow. I stretched on the bed, then hummed the entire time I was folding my blanket. I made myself a cup of coffee and drank two glasses of water before I proceed to stare at the kitchen wall for around ten minutes. It was around nine-thirty when I begin thinking about the possibility of showering.

I drag my feet into the bathroom. The floor is cold, but one tile, colder than the rest sends a jolt from the tip of my toes that goes all the way into my head, and at once I am awake, awake and suddenly very aware of the promise I made to myself last night, to be better, happier, to "make the best of every single day". I sigh. I pull the corners of my lips up and shower with a smile. I massage my scalp smiling, scrub my feet smiling, standing still while warm water sprays all over my back smiling until finally, the muscle work turns genuine and I can begin to feel happiness thrumming on the tip of my pinky fingers. I hum in pleasure, letting the warmth of the shower drown me for another thirty-second and decide that I'm going to drag myself outside the house and do something, anything aside from letting time pass me by.

Stepping out of the bathroom, I get dressed quickly, put a bit of makeup on, and walk towards Hunnie's work station. I pick it up, the wig resting peacefully on a mannequin's head and a hair net scrunched up next to it. It's okay to take things slow, it might be better that way, dampen the shock and all that.

In front of the mirror, I take a good look at myself with the wig still in the clutch of my hands. I smile, feeling good today, and bold, and slightly better about myself. Who knows, maybe I'll even take the wig off sometime today and walk around with my real hair. I put on the wig and clipped it in place.

I've already noticed a few days ago that I ran out of things to read that are not textbooks nor reference books, but I haven't felt the need to go buy or borrow more. Today is finally going to be the day! I forget how much fun can come from looking for recommendations of fun and potentially random reads and walk to the college library to borrow some books to read today in a café, maybe a park, or even at home in the middle of the night if I can't sleep. That sounds lovely and it seems like a good enough idea to spend such a free day that way. I walk out the door smiling for the nth time today. The sky is of a deep and comfortable blue. It seems like it's going to be a good day.

~~~~~~~~~~

A few random books that manage to peak my interest and don't have enough potential to bore me to death found their way into my arms and after gathering enough to last me a month, I'm quite ready to leave and read one.

The library might be a nice place to read with its comfortable sofas on the wall below a large glass window and some of its hidden chairs in its numerous hidden corners, especially since it's technically still within the post-exam break period and there is barely a soul here because everyone who is seriously studying is in the self-studying cubicle in a separate room, but with the sky as nice as today, I'd like to read outside if I can.

I thread the floor of the library slowly, through the empty tables and bookshelves, trying to reach the book checkout. Halfway in the middle, however, someone who I want to see conveniently appears. It's a little too convenient, really.