Masquerade Ball of Confusion

MJ's POV

Hi I'm Miranda Jenna Sommers, but most people call me MJ. I was named after my late aunt Miranda Gilbert. I am nine years old and live in Mystic Falls. With my mum Jenna Sommers and cousins Elena & Jeremy Gilbert. Mum and I visited them just before summer last year for family night. Mum and I covered for Elena why she went to a party she was not allowed to go to. But my aunt and Uncle figured it out & went to get her. But they died going over Wickery Bridge, Elena miraculously survived.

A lot has happened since then. Mum became their guardian. So she now had to raise me and two teenagers. Things were getting better until we went back to school. Elena quit cheer-leading and Jeremy started drinking & taking drugs. People were dying because of animal attacks. Two new guys have appeared. Their names are Stefan and Damon Salvatore. Something is off about them and I know my cousins are keeping a huge secret from me. Which makes me sad as we used to tell each other everything. Also mum has a new boyfriend Alaric Saltzman.

Anyway tonight is the masquerade dance at the Lockwood Mansion. Mum just got home from hospital. She'd hurt herself by walking into a knife. But she's home now and resting on the couch. While Alaric and Elena take care of her. I like Alaric, he's nice. Better then Logan Fell. Who has disappeared again. Hopefully for good. Did I forget to mention he was my father? I know right, I hate it and he doesn't know. He'll never be my father. I never knew the man and mum raised me alone. I don't need a father, especially one like him.

Tonight I am going to the masquerade dance. Even though Elena told me not too. She's not my mother and mum said I could go as long as I was back by ten. So I put on my pink dress, shoes and mask. My favourite colour is pink. I brushed my hair and put on the antique locket Elena had given me. She knows I like antiques. It had 'Forever Always' engraved on the back. It smells like Aunt Miranda's perfume.

I sneak out past the kitchen and walked to the Lockwood Mansion. I arrive to be greeted by Mrs Lockwood. Her husband died recently, the whole town turned up for his funeral. "MJ, you look lovely dear, come on in" she tells me.

"Thank you, is Caroline here?" I ask her.

"I saw her heading for the loo" she tells me. I thank her and go search for Caroline. I find Elena choking her and frown.

"Elena, why are you choking Caroline? She's one of your best friends" I remind her frown. Caroline looks at me shocked and Elena smirks. I frown in confusion, Elena never smirks. Suddenly she's choking me as we face Caroline. "Elena, I can't breath" I choke out. Why is my loving cousin choking me? Tears appear in my eyes.

"Don't hurt her, she has nothing to do with this Katherine" Caroling pleads.

"Tell me where the moonstone is" Elena demands. Why is Caroline calling her Katherine? What's a moonstone? I'm so confused.

"Bonnie has it, she's upstairs" Care tells her quickly. "Now let MJ go" she states. Elena lets go of my neck but keeps a firm grip on my arm. My neck hurts.

"Show me and you can have little Miranda back" Elena sneers. Miranda? Elena always calls me MJ. The only one that called me Miranda was Bonnie's Grams and John Gilbert.

Anyway Caroline leads us upstairs. "Which one?" Elena demands.

"That one" Care says nodding to the room on the left. Elena lets me go and enters the room. Care picks me up and I frown, how can she lift me up so easily?

"Where is she?" Elena asks and Caroline chuckles.

"I did it! I really didn't think that I'd be able to fool you but I did it!" Care says smiling. Elena rushes over to us but she can't leave the room. Like there's an invisible barrier keeping her from exiting it.

"What the...? Stefan?" Elena says turning around. I see Stefan behind her holding a stake.

"Hello Katherine" he says.

"Goodbye Katherine" Caroline says and walks away with me in her arms. Why is everyone calling Elena Katherine? Is this the big secret they have been hiding from me? Does Elena have an evil identical twin?

"Care, what's going on? Why are you all calling Elena Katherine? Why was she being so mean? Why does Stefan have a stake?" I ask quietly frowning.

"Don't worry, Damon will explain everything later" she assures me. "Lets go see Jeremy" she suggests. I pout, wanting answers now. But nod my head anyway. We head outside to see Bonnie with Elena. But this Elena is wearing jeans, a pink top and is bleeding.

"Elena!" I shout hoarsely and wiggle out of Care's arms. I pick up my dress and race over to Elena. "What's happening? How did you change so quickly? Why are you bleeding?" I demand as tears fill my eyes again. Ignoring the pain in my throat.

"Bonnie it hurts" Elena whimpers.

"Help her" I cry as tears fall down my cheeks.

"I can't break the spell, guys. I'm sorry but I can try to take some of the pain away" Bonnie tells us. She starts to chant something. Soon Jeremy returns and Bonnie leaves.

"Why is MJ here?" he asks.

"She saw Katherine threatening me and is very confused" Care states.

"I'll have Damon or you compel her later" Elena states. "Are you hurt MJ?" she asks and I point to my sore neck. "I'll have to have one of you heal her also, so Jenna doesn't fright" she states as she gives me a hug. "Everything will be ok" she assures me.

"Promise to tell me everything?" I ask.

"Of course" she lies and I pout.

"You're lying, we never used to keep secrets and now all you do is keep secrets" I whine pounting.

"It's complicated" she mutters. "I need to go talk to Stefan, here go wait in my car" she says handing me her keys. I grumble taking them. I wave goodbye to Jeremy and Care before leaving for Elena's car. I wait outside it until I see Elena approaching talking to someone on the phone.

I walk over to her and she gives me a small smile. "Yeah Jeremy, I've got my car. Tell Bonnie that whatever she did, I'm starting to feel better. Yeah, you can drive her home. I'm just gonna go home with MJ and have Damon heal & compel her. Then go straight to bed. Okay" she states. What does compel mean? Also, how can Damon heal me? He's not a doctor.

Elena hangs up and I hand her to keys. She smiles and unlocks the car. I go to get in when I hear a muffled scream. I turn to see a masked man holding Elena. "No, let my cousin go" I demand and kick him in the shin. He curses and back hands me. Sending me into the car and my world goes black.

A/N

Picture above of MJ's outfit and on the external link of MJ herself.