35

Rowan's POV:

I have never liked going to meetings with my father's council; they are all good people, but they are strict and they will always see me as a child. That, and council meetings just do not please me at all, because I have a bit of an ego and I always think I know what is best.

Everyone is already there when Ciaran and I arrive, hand in hand, and sit down at the end of the table beside my father on his left. The doors close and I look down the long table, eyeing the council members on half and the best guards on the other.

Kassandra is sitting to the right to my father, and I can tell he already holds a lot of respect for her. Everyone should respect her; she is an amazing guard.

"Are we all here?" my father asks once Ciaran and I have settled down into our spots. "This meeting will be a few hours, I expect, and we will reconvene in the morning as well. War requires planning."

I tense at the mention of war; even if I had thought it a lot, hearing it out loud is daunting and terrifying. Gods, we are going to be in a war and it is a horrible thought, but I would do anything to protect Ciaran, so be it.

"With all due respect your majesty, but since the prince is back, is there a reason to go to war?" one of the older council members asks, and I have to keep myself from having an outburst.

Gods, some of the older council members are so disrespectful.

Ciaran senses my irritation and grabs my hand, squeezing it to keep me calm. "Take a breath, I promise it will be fine," he whispers in my ear, before turning back to my father, who has begun to speak.

"Because there people in Vayl who are innocent and have been mistreated by the people who took over their kingdom. Their prince was among them, and for those of you who did not know, he is right here and saved the life of my son," father says, looking to Ciaran. "We will not leave his people to suffer, not when we know who the root of the problem is. It is three people: the king, the queen, and their head guard."

Kassandra speaks up. "The other guards can be taken down easily," she says, catching the attention of the rest of the room.

I can tell many of the people do not know who she is, as a few of the council members ask my dad who she is, and the other guards lean over to whisper to each other.

"Because you are all wondering who I am," Kassandra says loudly, regaining the attention of the room. "My name is Kassandra, and I was the head guard in Vayl before we were ambushed and the new sorry excuses of leaders took over. Myself and many of the old castle staff members have hidden in the woods for seven years, taking out who we can but just trying to survive. We know Vayl and we want to take our home back. I have warriors ready for my command, and all we need is back up from Arlian."

The obnoxious council member speaks again. "Why should we help? Our people could die because your kingdom was too weak to do anything when you were first attacked," he says, and I can tell Kassandra wants to beat him, which I would appreciate. "I suppose that is what you get when you let women lead the army."

Ciaran slams his hands on the table. "Shut your fucking mouth before that woman receives the permission of her prince to break your hip, old man."

Damn, he is hot when he gets mad. Especially when he wants to take down old men for disrespecting an amazing head warrior.

"Ciaran, that will not be necessary," my father says, before turning to his council member. "You are dismissed, Melvin."

The old bastard, Melvin, glares at my father. "I have been a member of this council since your parents were in charge!"