34

Ciaran's POV:

Okay, so maybe I underestimated how bad doing literally anything would hurt. Also, now that my body has had a chance to let the pain and soreness of riding the horse for over a day kick in, I am stiff and unable to move at all.

Rowan looks at me pitifully. "I know this is not a great time, but I told you-"

I cover his mouth. "Do not finish that sentence, I beg you," I groan, turning my head to look at him. "I am already in pain, do not antagonize me."

"Sorry," Rowan says, leaning over and kissing my forehead. "I did say you would be in pain, though. Just to point it out."

My only answer is a groan as I close my eyes and will my body to stop hurting, but naturally it does not work out for me.

"I will go get you something to eat because I do not think movement is going to be possible for you today," Rowan says, and I watch him climb off the bed and leave the room.

I do not want to be alone, but I need food before my stomach decides to eat itself from the inside out. So, I keep my mouth shut and stay where I am, and soon Rowan returns.

"You must be in some pain," I insist, because there is no possible way that he got away with no pain and I feel like a tree flattened me.

Rowan lays the tray on the end of the bed and moves to help me sit up, which hurts but it is tolerable.

"I am, mainly from the horses, but I am also used to going on missions so the soreness is something I am used to and can handle." He hands me the tray, but when I wince at the movement of lifting my arms, Rowan stops me from feeding myself. "Ah, here, I can feed you, Ciaran."

I scoff. "I can feed myself, Rowan."

"Breathing is causing you pain and you can barely move your arms. Let me help you."

My face burns; I do not like feeling useless, but I cannot really argue with the logic Rowan is presenting to me.

I open my mouth and he feeds me bits of egg and meat, and of course he has to make it much more sexual than necessary by shooting me lustful smirks and leaving lingering touches on other parts of my body.

"Just so you are aware, I believe Tyla saw me leave the kitchen with the food, so we may not have much time before they-"

Rowan is cut off when the door slams open and Tyla rushes is, shrieking when they see us.

They dive at Rowan first, hugging him tight before walking over to me and thankfully only ruffling my hair as opposed to leaping on me.

"I am so glad you two are home and safe!" Tyla exclaims. "Uriel returned this morning as well! All of my people are home and I am so thrilled!"

I smile at them, awkwardly getting off the bed so I can hug Tyla. "I am glad to be back as well. Since Uriel is back, does that mean that there are some other people here as well?"

"The Vayl people?" Tyla asks, walking over to the fire and sitting down on the couch in front of it. "They are probably sleeping, they all looked horribly exhausted. Uriel is asleep right now, which is why I came to see you two. Or else he and I would definitely be too busy fu-"

Rowan clears his throat. "I am going to stop you right there, Tyla," he says, looking exasperated. "Has my father mentioned anything about a meeting?"

Tyla shrugs. "I am a chef, not a messenger."

"I know that," Rowan mumbles, but I could tell he was hoping for Tyla to have more information. "Tyla, can I ask a favor?"

"Of course," Tyla says, a warm smile on their face. "What can I do for you, your majesty?"