Chapter 23 - The fear-landscape

Start from the beginning

"Sit down." Four gestured to the chair again. I lingered where I stood for a moment longer as Four turned to the computer screen and a small tray of something similar to the serum we had ingested the day we were supposed to figure out which faction to choose.

I had barely placed my rump in the chair and scooted back when Four returned, a small vial of purple iridescent serum in his hand. When he passed it to me, I took it hesitantly from him, bringing it up to examine the purple liquid inside. "No needle this time." Four chuckled when he saw my expression. I mimicked him a little disrespectfully but he didn't see because he'd had his back to me.

I grimaced at him when he turned back to me, trying to bite back the remark I had wanted to shoot at him as well. Shortly after I brought the vial up to my lips, hesitating for a second before downing it in one go. I grimaced, wincing in disgust as I fell back into the chair after I had passed the now empty vial back to Four.

The moment I closed my eyes I was pulled into the simulation. At first there were only darkness but then a blue glow revealed to me I was back in the damn box again. I growled in frustration, hammering a fist against the wall next to me as it began moving inward.

My other hand had already begun searching for the nails I knew would be on the floor somewhere. Once found, I quickly jammed them in under the crevice between the wall and the floor. I was visibly relieved when I leant against the back of the box. It took me longer to calm down because the walls had creaked dangerously, threatening to move inward again.

The simulation was then forced to move on when it detected a steady heartbeat, shifting into the next quite effortlessly. I inhaled deeply, eyes snapping open only to land upon the blue sky above me. It took me less than a second to realize my hands and feet were once again bound. But not like they usually were. They had been bound behind a wooden stake. I exclaimed a furious growl as my head snapped around, trying to figure out where I was.

I was still on the hilltop, the water splashing against the side of the hill several feet below me. Then several black figures materialized, even better than they usually did. This time the shadows held guns as well. The fog made their form ever shifting but I still saw exactly what they were.

"Prepare to fire! Kill those traitors!" The voice that reached my ears, seemed to come from no one in particular as the figures obliged, raising their guns to point at me. I clenched my eyes shut, turning my head away from the sight. I wasn't prepared to die right now, nor was I prepared to face this fear at all.

Then the gunshots exploded. I expected to feel pain, but nothing came. I dared open my eyes again, only to discover that the wooden pole behind me was gone again. I sunk to my knees, releasing a relieved sob in the process. Once done with the small pity party, I got myself pushed upright into a sitting position just as a singular shadow figure came into view.

I clenched my jaw, body going rigid while waiting for the monster to approach. "Stay away from me." I warned and got myself up onto my feet. The creature released a hollow laugher but didn't deter its course at all. For the first time it did something else and released a hollow laugh, making me even more anxious than what I had ever been before.

The fear that followed made me even more annoyed at myself and a small voice in the back of my head reminded me, it's not real. It was faint but it was there and the voice pulled me out of my head. Eyes narrowed, I prepared for whatever would come, already knowing about two different outcomes, I prepare myself for them both.

But a third option presents itself as I'm yet again reminded by a voice in my head, this time stronger and clearer, it's not real, focus! Repeating the words in my head once more the robe that had been digging into my skin, was gone. I jumped to my feet, launching myself at the figure.