Part 13: Shaken Thoughts

Beginne am Anfang

There was a note by a pack of pads and tampons saying, 'Noticed I made you bleed, might last for a couple days'

Generous of him, but still a dickhead.

I put on the night gown and bonnet he provided for me and exited the bathroom.

"She's been behaving herself," I heard.

I furrowed my eyebrows and peeked over the wall.

Titus was wearing basketball shorts and a jacket that he had kept open, with no shirt underneath.

That same necklace was draped around his neck.

He pulled up his jacket sleeves, talking on the phone while chopping vegetables, "Yeah. Of course. I already have a bullet that I'm planning on carving her name in."

My heart dropped to my ass.

"Duggard? Yeah...about that. This mission might be longer than I thought. Worthy Corps is getting bigger."

He laughed a little and put the vegetables on a pan, going over to a cabinet to grab herbs and seasonings.

"Yeah..." he saw me peeking from the wall, "Well I can't just send her there on an empty stomach."

He sighed after a second, "Alright man. I better get good money for this. I'll see you tomorrow."

He put the phone in his pocket.

"I see you over there cocoa puff."

I hesitantly walked towards him and looked over at the pots, "What exactly are you making?"

"Vietnamese pho. Hope you like Asian."

"Yeah," I said quickly.

He could tell I was nervous and it made him smile.

"Hey, doll. Play broken clocks by SZA."

"Yes, daddy," his house system responded.

I was still baffled by the fact it called him that but I decided it's best not to ask.

How lonely was he?!

I rose an eyebrow, smirking. "You like SZA?"

He started rocking his shoulders, doing the ol' pimp dance. He's been around my brother way too much. Valerian usually danced like an old man. "This is my anthem."

I started nodding my head to the beat without realizing and he nudged me with his elbow.

"Go on and let it all loose. I know you want to."

I folded my arms in denial and he chuckled, picking me up and placing me on the counter.

He grabbed a spoon and placed it in the pot, before holding it to my lips, "Tell me how this broth tastes."

I blew it and he put it in my mouth, "Mmm, holy fuck."

"Good?" he looked surprised.

"Yep."

He started making two bowls and I stood up on the counter dancing and singing, "I'll just do it my way~ All I've got are these broken clocks."

He laughed to himself. He knew the music would get to me sooner or later.

He put the bowls on the island and grabbed me off the counter with ease, "Don't think I said you could put your feet on my counter."

•••

We both went to a pool room after we ate in silence.

"I want my money," I said.

"How much again?"

"Twenty thousand."

"Twenty thousand?"

"Yes."

"Hm. Okay."

He put a heavy black case in front of my face, "There's fifty."

I opened it, and have never seen so many dollar bills in one sitting.

"Did you steal this?" I asked with a smug look on my face.

"I'm not a thief," he answered seriously.

"Yet you steal lives."

He grabbed my chin hard, "Don't talk back to me."

When he let go, I fell silent, and I looked down at the ground.

He had taken so much from me. The only people I've ever cared about now were gone because of him.

He sighed and rested his hands on the edge of the pool table, "Zyla, look..."

"Just kill me like you did the love of my life. Just do it."

"I will," he said, "just not now."

"Do it now!" I yelled.

He moved from the table and started walking towards me, causing me to back up into the wall in fear.

He grabbed my throat but applied no pressure.

"Why do you look so scared Zyla, if you want me to kill you so badly?"

I was silent. Tears starting to form in my eyes.

"Why?" he growled.

I couldn't find the breath to speak.

He laughed as his necklace started to tick again, and leaned to whisper in my ear, letting go of my neck.

"Is it because of what he did to you?"