Chapter 36: Calm before the storm

I let out a sigh as I leaned back into my chair, staring at the assorted reports in front of me, tapping my finger on my desk.

Sunagakure was holding up their end of the treaty, sending us their chakra-receptive metal along with Temari, the metal being placed in a secured warehouse under 24 hour guard, to be returned to Suna when the time came.

Temari had been set up in a suite in the Uchiha building and temporarily installed as a Konohagakure shinobi assigned to Team 10 for the time being, hey even if I was making major changes to the timeline, it wasn't going to stop me from playing a little matchmaking here and there.

"Hokage-sama, I have a report from the hospital for you," Shizune announced as she entered the office.

I blinked out of my contemplation and looked at Shizune. "How does the initial batch of trainees look?" I asked her. Tsunade was finally in good enough mental condition to start up her medical-ninja program with today marking the end of the first month of the program.

"The results are looking good, Hokage-sama," Shizune reported excitedly. "We hope that we can get at least fifteen grade 3 medical-ninja from this batch, with five of them showing potential for achieving grade 2."

I nodded approvingly. Honestly, this was great news; normally it was only a handful of medical personnel per generation, but fifteen in a single generation, even if they could only do basic triage on the battlefield, was a massive boon. "Pass my congratulations onto Tsunade-san," I replied with a nod. "Plus, inform her I am increasing the budget by 50%."

Shizune beamed happily at me. "Yes!" she replied cheerfully, bowing to me gratefully. "I'll go and tell her now!"

I chuckled as Shizune ran off with a small squeal of happiness as she left my office.

"That's amazing progress for just one month," Aoi commented with a raised eyebrow. "Guess Tsunade-dono is a good teacher when she sets her mind to it."

I nodded in agreement, looking over the report, mainly a list of names and their current level of skills. "Indeed," I vocalized after a moment. "Hopefully the progress continues."

My guards all nodded in agreement as we continued our work for the day, just another day for us.

I read through the report sent to me by Jiraiya, apparently, he, Naruto, and the recently acquired Fuu had gotten involved in Yuki no Kuni's civil war, on the said of the previous Daimyo's reluctant daughter, Koyuki Kazehana.

Well, rather she had been reluctant.

Seriously, I should look into getting Naruto professional psychiatric training from the Yamanaka with how easily he was able to help people with their trauma and PTSD as it stood.

Since at some point during their mission in the country, Naruto managed to convince her to take up the position of Daimyo, Jiraiya adding in a note to expect a trade delegation from Yuki no Kuni soon enough.

Which could be a good thing, normally Yuki no Kuni didn't have much in the way of exports, but with the possibility of the heat generator that Koyuki's father was working on, the country had the chance to become an agricultural powerhouse.

While Hi no Kuni had a strong agricultural presence, the fact was, more food imports for building emergency reserves was always a good thing.

Militarily, there had been the armor used by the shinobi sworn to the Daimyo's service, while not quite a hidden village, their armor could be helpful for keeping shinobi alive in a warzone. Then again, wearing it had made the idiots too cocky and had fallen victim to traps most ordinary sinobi wouldn't have overlooked, so...?