chapter twenty

"ALL MY TROUBLES ON A BURNING PILE..."

A few days had passed and Mary Rose hadn't left her room in days. Afraid that if she did Sabrina would hate her even more... that the entire family would hate her even more. It was the morning time and it was a quiet house for the Spellmans.

Everyone, except for Mary, was in the kitchen, getting breakfast. Hilda cooked some eggs and Ambrose was looking through the refrigerator to find some creamer. Zelda looked at newspaper at the kitchen table and Sabrina silently ate.

The sound of a spoon falling filled everyone's ears. Zelda sighs. "Blast it!" She comments. Hilda hummed. "Someone's having a baby." She said with a grin.

"What? What in Satan's name are you talking about, Hilda?" Zelda said, putting down her newspaper. "You know the saying. If a spoon falls, a baby calls. Probably Lady Blackwood's." Hilda said.

"Kindly spare your old wives' tales, Sister. Lady Blackwood's barely even started her fourth trimester. It'll be ages yet." Zelda said before her face contorted with confusion. "Where's Mary? Ambrose?" She said, looking at him.

He sighed. He hasn't seen her since he left her in her bedroom to get cleaned up after the storm a few days ago. He frowned. "In her room." He said.

"Still? It's been days." Zelda said. Sabrina sighed. "I said some awful things to her, Ambrose. I don't think she'll ever look me in the eyes after what I did. She hasn't even been to school. And considering what she's been through—." Sabrina was cut off by Ambrose.

"I know what she's been through, cousin. I was there to pick up the pieces." He said with a pissed off expression. He was mad at himself and everyone by the way they treated Mary. Especially Sabrina, he was mad that he told Mary those awful things, even if they were true in some way.

"She has school. People will start to talk." Zelda said with a sigh. Ambrose stood to his feet and quickly made a plate of bacon and eggs with a cup of coffee.

"Well, I've made her a little balm for her sore heart. I'm gonna take it up to her." Hilda said, holding out a small glass container with a grin. Ambrose quickly walks over to her and takes the balm.

"No, I will." He said, making his way to Mary's room. Once he made it to her room door he sighed before opening it softly. He walked into her room to see that it was still tidy, except for a pile of clothes in her hamper. He looked over at her bed to see Mary buried in three thick blankets. She cuddled a pillow as she slept.

She looked peaceful but he could tell she was crying, there were bags under her eyes and her cheeks were damp. She must have cried herself to sleep. His heart broke before he sat the plate of food and the cup of coffee on her bedside table and sat down next to her sleeping body.

He sighed before tucking a strand of her hair behind her ear. The sun from the sky shined through the curtains to created beautiful shadows in her room. Ambrose wiped away the leftover tears that were on Mary's cheek with his thumb softly. She began to stir in her sleep before opening her eyes.

Her eyes landed on Ambrose before her lips stretched into a thin line, well, more into a frown. "What do you want, Ambrose?" She asked, her voice was scratchy and raw. Ambrose then rubbed her back, looking at her with a sympathetic smile.

"You need to go to school, get out of bed." He said. Mary's expression doesn't change. "If I go to school then I'll see Sabrina, and she made it very clear that she doesn't want to see me again. And, hey, aren't you supposed to be anywhere else but here? I thought you wouldn't be here when it all blows up in my face." She spat before turning around on her other side to face away from Ambrose. Her heart quickened, she just wanted to crawl into the deepest whole and never come out. She hated herself after what she did.