chapter eight

"ALL THE THINGS YOU SAID RUNNING THROUGH MY HEAD..."

The aunties, Daniel Webster, me and Sabrina stood outside of the church. Having a conversation amongst ourselves. I could tell Zelda was ready to burst. She paced behind us. "As if things weren't dire enough, you two go and hire this mortal pettifogger behind our backs." She hissed at us.

"With all due respect, madam, I am well-versed in witch law." Daniel said. "Oh, I know exactly who you are, Mr. Daniel Webster. I remember you sniffing around my brother years ago. A hanger-on, a dilettante." Zelda said which made me look at man with confusion and so did Sabrina.

"Wait. You knew my father?" Sabrina asked. How did they meet, I wonder.

"He's the reason I came to Greendale." Daniel spoke. "Your father taught me witch law... offered me comfort when there was none. He helped me out. I'd like to return the favor." He finished before I heard the Church bell ring twice meaning it was time to head back in.

Me and Sabrina now stood at a podium in front of the coven while Blackwood asked us a couple of questions. "Do you know what Breach of Promise means, ladies?" He asked us.

"It's when you make a promise and then you break it. Which we, categorically, did not do." I spoke clearly, looking back at Father Blackwood. "It is most commonly invoked when a groom runs out on a bride he's promised to wed. I only mention that because..."

He trails off before scoffing. "...well, were you and the Dark Lord not courting in advance to your Dark Baptisms?" He asked. I looked at the man with confusion.

"Courting...? In what way?" I asked.

"Did you two not willingly go into the woods that night? Wearing, of all things, a costume and a wedding dress? Fact is, you two gave every indication that it was your intention to fulfill a promise made. You showed up for a ceremony you'd committed to and then, at the moment of consummation, you fled. You broke your promise. That's all." Blackwood concluded before going to sit down in the pews. The coven began shouting vulgar and provocative names at me and Sabrina which made me roll my eyes.

Daniel Webster stands to his feet and begins to approach us. "Sabrina, Mary Rose, members of the court, where is the tangible proof? If this baptism is to be considered a wedding, where is the marriage license? The blood tests this great township demands? Show me the signatures! Hell, show me the groom!" He said which caused the coven to gasp and murmur to themselves.

"No contract. No promise. No case." Daniel concluded before going to sit back down. I slightly smirked. Blackwood clears his throat before reaching over onto the table he was sitting at and grabbing the Book of the Beast.

"I'd like to submit into evidence our most unholy grimoire, the Book of the Beast." Blackwood said, he stood to his feet and placed the book onto a podium in front of my face. I looked at him with confusion.

"Miss Spellman, you be so kind as to open it to the page I've indicated?" He said. I flipped back a couple of pages before looking over at Zelda who I saw turning her head to the side, avoiding my gaze. I looked back at Blackwood.

"Would you please read the name that's been written there? Nice and loud, child." He said, pointing at a specific name. I looked at the name before my heart dropped.

"It says... Mary Rose Spellman." I spoke with confusion. The coven began to gasp and murmur and I saw Daniel stand to his feet in disbelief.

"I don't understand. This is dated only two weeks after I was—." I trailed off. What in the heaven? Who signed for me?

"Your Dishonors, are we to believe that a baby signed the Book of the Beast nearly a month after she was born? This is obviously a fraud, a blatant forgery." Daniel said with an irritation in his tone.