chapter thirteen

"I GUESS YOU DIDNT MEAN WHAT YOU SAID IN THAT SONG ABOUT ME..."

I got dressed for the next morning and I went downstairs into the kitchen to spot everyone eating breakfast amongst themselves. I breathed in, calming my nerves. I was still hesitant about talking with everyone after what had happened last night. I heard Zelda and Sabrina chattering about something that seemed amusing. I hesitantly went into the kitchen before spotting Ambrose walking up to me with a soft grin on his lips.

"Good morning, this is for you." He said. I looked down to what he was holding to see a stack of chocolate chip pancakes that were beautifully decorated with whipped cream and syrup. I smiled brightly. I grabbed the plate from his hands.

"Thank you." I said softly. "No need to thank me, I felt like these might cheer you up a bit." He said before walking over to the dining table and sitting down. I grinned at the pancakes before sitting down next to him.

"So, Aunt Z, I'm heading back to Baxter High, I feel like I should be with my friends more often." Sabrina said. I saw Zelda rolled her eyes, I looked up from my pancakes. "I'd like to go back as well..." I inputed. My voice was kind of hushed, it was noticeable but quiet. Ambrose looked at me.

"Are you sure? I mean, wouldn't it be better for you to be at home with us?" He said. I could tell he was using my nightmare to justify his question. But, I needed to get out of the house and into the real world again. I nodded my head. "I can't stay stuck up in the house with you guys. Like you guys said I need friends..." I trailed off, looking down at my lap. Keep it together, Mary. I suddenly saw Ambrose grab my hand, I looked up at him to see that he looked worried and sympathetic.

"You don't have to leave, Mary Rose." He said. I know, but I had to. He let's go of my hand softly. I sighed before tearing my eyes away from him. I began digging into the pancakes Ambrose cooked.

-

Me and Sabrina went to Baxter High. It was around lunchtime so we headed to the library where we knew her mortal friends were. We saw them talking on a couch about something. We went around it and sat on a loveseat across from them.

"What's going on, guys?" Sabrina said with a grin. There was a silence before Rosalind breathed out. "Susie's uncle is messed up." She said. I heard some stories about Susie's uncle, it's terrible what happened to the poor man.

"Beyond messed up. He had a breakdown in the mines and he's been acting crazy ever since. He attacked Harvey." Susie said, making my eyes widen. "What? Attacked you where?" I said before glancing at Sabrina.

"Susie's place. That's what I was going to tell Sabrina." Harvey said. "My dad called a doctor." Susie said. Harvey sighed.

"Maybe we should call an exorcist instead." He said. Roz dryly chuckled. "What— What does that mean?" Sabrina stammered. Harvey glanced at Susie and Roz.

"I was telling Susie and Roz. You know the thing I saw in the mines? Jessie saw it, too." Harvey said with a slight frown. I heard from Sabrina that Harvey had seen a beast deep in the mines when he was eight. My eyebrows etched together. "How did you know? Did he say that?" I asked.

"He said a lot of crazy stuff. He said he saw a monster." Susie said with worry. "And then he said he was gonna eat Harvey's soul." Roz added which made my eyes widen again, I glanced at Sabrina who looked just as shocked as I did.

"Point is: Maybe whatever's down there is a... a demon and it... I don't know, possessed Jesse." Harvey said. I saw Sabrina grin, she was hiding the fact that she was completely worried for their safety, I could tell. "Harvey, come on... I mean is demonic possession even a thing?" She asked.