chapter six

"IM ALREADY HIGH ENOUGH. I ONLY GOT EYES FOR YOU..."

HALLOWEEN
THE DAY OF MARY ROSE'S BAPTISM

I woke up the following morning bright and awake. Today was the day of my baptism and it was also Sabrina's. My birthday was two days after hers so the Church settled on having my baptism on the same day as hers. After I brushed my teeth I went back into my room to spot Aunt Zelda straightening a dress. Well... more like a piece of fabric. I hummed with confusion which made her turn her head. She grinned, looking impressed with herself.

"What is that?" I asked. She finally held up a red riding hood costume with white lace sleeves and straps around the waist. The dress looked unbelievably short. My eyes widened.

"I heard about a little party at Sabrina's mortal friends house so I decided to sew you up something. You can also wear this to your baptism." She said. That's right, Rosalind was planning on having a Halloween party. I was invited as well as Sabrina.

"Aren't witches only allowed to wear black to their baptism?" I asked, my eyes scanned the costume, looking at the red prominent cape. "Oh please, that hasn't been the rule for years. Decades." She said. I laid the dress down onto my bed and breathed out.

"I don't know, Aunt Z, isn't this costume a bit... I don't know, scandalous?" I asked, looking at the piece of fabric near the chest area that was supposed to cover my breasts. Zelda scoffs. "Oh, poppycock, you're turning into a woman tonight. It's best you start dressing and behaving like one. Now, get dressed." She said before leaving with a pep in her step.

-

Once I got dressed in a long sleeved blue shirt and jeans along with my coat I went downstairs to spot everyone eating breakfast: french toast. I sat down at the table and Hilda sat a plate of french toast in front of me. I grinned warmly before looking at Sabrina who had a long face, almost if she was in thought. I began to eat.

"Hilda and I have errands to run and preparations to finish... but I've already called Baxter High and told them the two of you are having a terrible outbreak of hives." Zelda said which made Sabrina's eyes widen.

"Wh—what? Why would you do that, Aunt Zelda?" She asked. "The day before your dark baptism should be spent in quiet contemplation, reading your satanic verses." Zelda spoke, pinching Sabrina's cheek.

"But I haven't said goodbye to my friends yet. I can't just vanish from their lives. At a minimum I have to tell them that I'm—." Sabrina was cut off by me and Ambrose.

"Transferring to some posh boarding school in Connecticut?" We said in unison. Sabrina glanced at us before sighing. "We'll send them a postcard. Ambrose will keep both of you company and keep an eye on you. Won't you, Ambrose?" Zelda says, looking at Ambrose who was about to take a bite of his food but stopped to look at Zelda with a clueless expression.

I chuckled before patting him on the back. "But of course, Auntie Zee." He says, giving her a pearly white smile. Zelda grins before picking up her newspaper and beginning to read it.

-

After breakfast Ambrose, me and Sabrina all gathered into a backroom. Resting on two couches. I sat next to Ambrose while Sabrina sat across from us. I rested my feet on the coffee table. Since I didn't have any school I might as well relax.

"I'll still be able to see them, won't I, Ambrose?" Sabrina asks. "Roz and Harvey and Susie? I mean, just because we're not at the same school, it doesn't mean we can't be friends. I'll be at the Academy of Unseen Arts during the week, but during the weekends—." She was cut off by Ambrose.