chapter nineteen

"MICHELLE, YOU ARE A MONSTER FROM HELL..."

I spoke with Ms. Wardwell and she explained the risks of going to mortal limbo. She said I could technically go since we don't know if I'm an immortal or not. She said Sabrina could as well. Ms. Wardwell also explained how she found a portal deep in the woods. So Ms. Wardwell, me and Sabrina decided to go.

We walked around the woods a bit before finding a cave-like opening made out of twigs. Sabrina was about to go in before Ms. Wardwell stopped her. "Not so fast." She said. Sabrina turns around to look at Ms. Wardwell curiously. "Give me both of your wrists." She says to me and Sabrina.

She pulls out a red ball of yarn then an orange ball of yarn. She ties a string of yarn around Sabrina's wrists as well as mine. She breathed out.

"So I don't lose track of you two. Tug on it three times when you're heading back, and I'll open the portal on this side. Understand?" She said. Me and Sabrina both nod.

"Now... recite the words." Ms. Wardwell says. I turned around and walked up towards the cave. I raised her hand towards the opening.

"Lodona, altolus, mectolum elisum fradumbus." I spoke clearly. I then put down my hand. Suddenly a fog starts coming out of the cave. I could hear screams and cries of pain coming from the cave, making me gasp slightly. A chill went down my spine..

I turned my head to look at Sabrina.

"Let's go."I said. Sabrina nods and begins walking in the cave with me. Fog cuts off our vision a bit. We see that we were still in the woods but it almost looked apocalyptic. Me and Sabrina could barely see a thing.

We stood fairly close so we wouldn't lose each other. Suddenly we hear a baby crying in the distance. We could see shadows of people and I felt terrified. My heart went rapid my chest.

"Tommy?" Sabrina yells. "Tommy?" Sabrina called out again. Her voice echoed through the woods. Suddenly a woman came up towards the two of us. She looked just like Sabrina but older. My eyebrows etched together.

Sabrina's eyes widened. "Mom? What are you doing here?" Sabrina asks in a panic. I looked at Sabrina. "That's your mom?" I asked.

"Who are you?" Diana asks. Her voice was soft, almost like honey. "Mom, it's me. Sabrina." Sabrina says.

"Sabrina? No. No, Sabrina was my baby. And she was baptized. Only... unbaptized babies go to limbo." Diana says in disbelief and shock. Unholy shit. "Mom, I promise you, it's me." Sabrina says.

"But they took her. They took my baby after the baptism." Diana says.

"Who did?" I asked. Suddenly I heard roaring in the distance. I looked around in panic. "Are you ok?" Sabrina asks her mother.

"The witches are coming." Diana says. Suddenly the wind picks up and we hear more growling. I looked to my left and gaped. It was some type of mist that was shaped like a monster.

"What's that?" I asked, about to run. "The Soul-Eater. Don't let him get you." Diana says. Suddenly we hear heavy footsteps.

"Save yourself!" Diana yells running away. Damn it.

We immediately start running away from the monster. This is so bad!

We go deep into the misty woods before stopping. I breathed in slowly trying to regain my breath. Sabrina was panting beside her. Sabrina turns around to see Tommy slowly walking towards them. My eyes widen.

"Sabrina." Tommy says in shock. Sabrina runs towards Tommy and grabs his arm. "Tommy! Tommy, we have to go." Sabrina says in a panic.

"Where are we? I was in the mines—." Sabrina cuts the disoriented boy off. "Tommy, everything is gonna be alright, but we have to go." Sabrina says. We hear a loud scream in the distance, making me jump. We heard the Soul-Eater roar meaning we have to leave immediately. The creature was getting closer.

"We have to leave." I said in a panic. We then all take a run for it, looking for the portal. We heard tons of screams. We heard the Soul-Eater running towards us violently. I grabbed onto Tommy's wrist. Sabrina tugs on the yarn three times.

"Ms. Wardwell!" Sabrina yells. "We have Tommy, open the portal!" Sabrina pulls once more on the yarn and it breaks. My eyes widened before I breathed out. Just focus, Mary Rose.

"Aplatus portalim, limbo." I said. Suddenly a portal made of fire appears. "Let's go!" I yelled. We run towards the portal, running through it. Suddenly we hear Tommy's scream and a loud munching sound through out ears. We're then met with Ms. Wardwell. I turned around to see a chopped off hand laying in mine. My eyes began to water.

"NO! We have to go back, Ms. Wardwell!" I shouted. She shook her head. "We can't, the Soul Eater has gotten him... it's over, Mary Rose... I'm sorry." She said. A tear fell down my cheek. I looked at Sabrina, who looked sad as well.

"I have to go to Harvey's." Sabrina said, walking off. I glanced at Wardwell before following her. We went to his house. "I'm going to tell Harvey the truth, Mary, I can't keep this from him." She said. I stopped walking and watched her knock on his door. After a few seconds the door opened and she disappeared into the house. I sighed before sitting on the stairs of the porch, I might as well wait for her.

-

I picked at my chipped fingernails and waited for Sabrina before I heard a door slam. I looked up to see Sabrina walking out of Harvey's house with a red and wet face. I gasped softly before standing to my feet. Once she saw me she walked past me like I wasn't even there. I grabbed her shoulder and turned her to look at me.

"Sabrina! What happened?" I asked.

"What do you want, Mary Rose?" Sabrina shouted, making me flinch. My mouth opened, ready to spill out an apology. "I want to know what happened with Harvey." I said.

"We broke up... he knows I'm a witch and about Tommy. He's going to kill his brother at midnight. All because of you. All because you started this mess with killing Agatha and destroying the balance. I shouldn't have never even helped you to begin with. You ruined everything, Mary Rose." Sabrina hissed at me. My heart fell into my feet and my eyes began to water.

"I hope you find amusement in this, because I don't ever want to see your face again." She said before walking away from me. As I watched her disappear from my sight I swallowed the lump in my throat. My lips stretched into a frown and my blood went cold. Suddenly, I heard thunder in the sky.

My mind felt numb as I walked back home feeling like a balloon ready to pop at any moment. I walked home without saying anything, or thinking anything. Only that this entire thing happened because of me. My entire family now hated me... and I felt utterly alone again.

I watched my house come into my vision. I walked up the pebble road and past the graveyard. The thunder cracked and lightning struck. I looked up at the house and my Aunties and Ambrose standing at the porch, watching me. The lump in my throat grew and my eyes watered slowly.

I stopped walking and stood there on the pebble pavement. "It's over, Ambrose. Tommy's gone... and Sabrina and H-Harvey they—." Before I could finish my sentence a shaky sob exited my throat. My legs buckled and I dropped onto the ground, on my knees. My throat felt raw as hot tears cascaded down my face. I suddenly heard quick footsteps approaching me.

I felt someone pull me into their chest. I glanced up to see that it was in fact Ambrose, sitting next to me, holding me while I was crying violently. I clutched onto him tightly. He rubbed the back of my head comfortingly, running his fingers through my hair.

Suddenly, as my cries got louder rain began to pour on the two of us. Nowhere else but us. My clothes got soaking wet as well as his. My tears mixed in with the salty rain water. Ambrose rubbed my back with his other hand and rocked me slightly.

My hair got extremely wet and we were completely soaked. My cries echoed through the skies making the thunder angrier, like I was a conductor and the storm was my band to instruct. I felt Ambrose kiss my forehead longingly.

"It's okay." He spoke softly to me. Even though the storm was clouding my hearing, I still managed to hear his voice. I shook my head. "No, it's not." I managed to say before another violent sob exited my mouth.

I then realized: Ambrose said that he wouldn't be there for me when it blew up in my face. But, here he is, in the wet cold rain. Despite what he had said, he was still there.

a nice short chapter...