Epilogue:

Dearest reader,

A desire to know is a doubled-edged sword.

This is not so true with cooking, as it is with people, of course. But, in knowledge, there is much. Much to treasure and much to despise. Most say there is power to be found in knowledge, and they do not lie. But with power comes other things as well. A common saying is not the complete truth. In knowledge there is pain, doubt, greed, humanity... and loss of them.

Urges to act on new information are always strong, emotional in such a way that is hard to battle. But, further answers, or should I say further simplicity, comes to those who are patient, or maybe it is only to those who suffer. Lodyne was such a force in my life, that in her surge and in her absence, my confusion grew.

What was I to do about Lodyne? About Fykes, or the giants? What was I to do about anything, really? What gave me the grand idea that I even could? Well, it was not such a grand idea. See, it felt more like a responsibility. It wasn't what I was supposed to do, but something I had to do. Subtle differences are what make people unique, after all. Three souls can love roses, but all a different kind, genus or color.

My father always talked of knowledge, consequences, and morality. And as a child, I understood so little of it. As I age, surely, as I come to know more, I understand it better, and I try my best to see it as he saw it. Knowledge and ability are tools. But, if you know not how to use them, they can injure you as bad as if you stuck your hand within the embers of a forge. Emotions are as a fuel and a splash of water, too. Hastiness often beats consideration, but there is no set way for one to handle knowledge. No written instructions for the things I know, and the things I've learned to know are true.

So what, then, is someone to do? Surely, all things have been done and been known before in another time. But will they end the same? Is time, or even history, a circle? A line? Predetermined or changeable as the wind upon the gods' whims?

A desire and determination to know is both a gift and a curse. A want to do right is much the same. For who can say, truly, what the nature of knowledge is, or where the line lies between right and wrong? For every soul these lines and natures differ. To ponder these things can leave one devoid of peace.

As I sit here now in my retirement, I have found peace for a time. And compared to the tales you read about, it is a boring, beautiful thing.

But I suppose there has to be some tension, some conflict before peace. Or what sort of story would it be?

Now, I appreciate you reading so far, but my family calls me, and I must heed their whims. I suppose I'll see you again, eventually. With tales of betrayals, giants, and strife to tell.

—Katerin Moonshadow,

O'siaris, Itrea, 900 P.C

C