Chapter Seventeen: The Why and The How of It, Pt 1

Katerin walked out of the manor before everyone else, taking a minute to calm herself. Lodyne had chosen today to go on a tirade, and Katerin felt her sanity slowly slipping through her fingers. Suffice to say, it was not the mindset she wanted to meet Dagir. It had been some time since she had seen the northern king, and though she was eager to hear his thoughts, his previous connections to Lodyne still made her uneasy. She had kept the book of Ralore close all morning and did not intend on setting it aside when they met Dagir. She was curious what it might reveal about him.

If she did want to unite the world, Dagir would have to be included.

The manor door opened, and she could hear Brazen talking to Fykes as they exited.

"—If he'll let me see the ravens, again." Brazen finished, throwing his cloak over his shoulders.

Fykes laughed. "I doubt he'd be opposed to you seeing them, but I don't think he'll take you asking for an egg very well."

"I'd take good care of it," Brazen's face fell.

"I know," Fykes said, patting his shoulder.

"Why would he think otherwise?" Brazen was up to Katerin now and searching her face for the answer.

"Well," she began. "The ravens are important to him and Ruarden. It's the last place they thrive. So, not only is giving an egg away detracting from Ruarden being their only home, I have a feeling he's protective of them."

Brazen's expression turned thoughtful, as they made their way toward the Abstract Imblemgnomium, and he did not ask any further questions.

After greeting Typhon and Wiggus, who as usual had just blown something up, Katerin skirted the conversation of the spell Wiggus was testing by citing her important meeting. It took her only a few moments to draw the runes across the enchanted floor of the teleportation circle, and all the while Lodyne whispered to her.

It's going to be a trap. Dagir cannot be trusted. He will aid Kryrial. The mans desire for his son's life was the only thing that ever mattered, and to think him any less selfish now is a ridiculous idea. She repeated these things and others, resolutely.

Katerin worked to incite the spell, trying to keep Lodyne's opinions from distracting her. When she had finished the spell, Fykes said, "Well, he's going to kill us."

Katerin turned to him, blinking. "What?" Her throat contracted.

"Hmm?" Fykes gave her a curious look.

"What did you say?"

"I said asking for a raven egg won't kill us." He raised one eyebrow.

Katerin shook herself and turned back to the circle, doing her best to hide her fear. She was hearing nonsense.

If the winter was growing colder on Itrea, than the same was certainly true for the land around Ruarden Hold. The stone of the castle was icy to the touch and even inside where many hearths blazed, the chill of the winter was felt. Egron was there to meet them and he bowed deeply, the crest of his pointy hat touching the floor.

"Esteemed guests," he said. "Dagir awaits you and wishes me to extend to you an invitation for the evening meal, if you might be so inclined."

"Of course," Fykes answered with a grin, before Katerin could say anything else.

Egron nodded, and turned to lead them from the hall, while Katerin shot Fykes a look that clearly stated her thoughts of 'what in hells?'

"It's great food," Fykes whispered in answer. "We stayed, last time."