Chapter 23.1: Crimson Incense

Swirls of orange painted the skies over Aegean City in the late afternoon. A pleasant sight for the man in green as he and Joanne walked over wooden boards by the beach. Under different circumstances, he would gladly sit on the boulders near the coast and watch the sun go down while waves clash against the mighty rocks. A few fishing boats were tied to posts, eagerly awaiting their owners' next trip.

Blue and yellow lights hanged from cables tangled between kiosks and steel posts. Beyond the sand's reach lay a Ferris wheel with turquoise veins twisting around its frame. As the two strolled past it, they caught sight of Suilah's future stage.

Frozen above gentle waves was a gigantic glowing sigil, with a pattern of circles, curves, and thin lines resembling a web of corals. Completing its stage look was a fan-like structure at its back, facing the sea beyond. Said structure appeared to be made of ice, modeled to look like a large wave about to envelop the sigil, frozen just before crashing down upon it.

Joanne's eyes glinted with the stage's icy glow. She whistled, impressed by the sight.

"Well, I'll be... Suilah's sirens did a dang fine job castin' such a big magic circle," she exclaimed, crossing her arms.

The man in green nodded, his gaze fixated on the intricate, ancient writing sprawled on the sigil's border.

"An excellent show of their mastery over water magic. If I recall, Suilah taught her own oracle and her followers how to manipulate and summon water, bend it to their will."

"Pfft, would be dang useful if all guardians were so charitable like that. Ol' Khiboreas don't bother teachin' nana Larya ice magic."

The man sighed and ambled toward a smooth rock stranded on the beach. "Humans do not have much aptitude for magic, as unfortunate as it is. Compared to their ancestors, I hear it is rare for one to be born with such an ability."

Joanne kicked a small mound of sand, "Tch. Guess we got the short end o' the stick then."

"Not quite. I lived most of my life isolated in the Isle of Trusa, save for the occasional travels. During those trips, however, I have observed many a marvel created by humans. This city, for example. Though not to my tastes, it is an impressive feat for a race that lost much of its magical origins, yes?"

She took a step and turned to face Aegean city's bustling core. Its skyscrapers stood tall against the sunset, ever shining, ever closer to touching the heavens.

"Gotta agree with ya there," she murmured.

With their break concluded, the two made their way to the very end of the boardwalk. Tall buildings were replaced by humble homes and apartments. Joanne recalled Marco's talk of the old complex, scanning the abandoned section of the city. Though life still beat within this portion, its neglect showed through its unkept roads, cracked and boarded windows, and vanishing paint.

Joanne scanned the buildings on both sides of the road, planting her feet firmly on the asphalt with a gasp.

"Yo, check it out, I think this might be the one!" She hissed, pointing at a red three-story complex. Just as Mrs. Diderot described, its foggy windows peered through the brick walls. The man in green could not help squinting his eyes and frowning with suspicion. The building lacked signs of life, much less a demonic presence. Its main doors lacked the scratch marks he sought after, as did the lingering smell of incense he expected.

"Something does not bode well... Joanne, are you certain this is the correct location?"

Joanne stuttered, "Why, well, I thought it was our best shot, based on what they said n' the call. Dunno many other places with glazed windows, 'less you wanna check 'em out too."