Chapter 9 - Proposal

Start from the beginning

"Diane, don't go away yet. We are going now to the garter throw."

I check my notes once more and the song choice amuses me once more. The groom chose "Pour Some Sugar On Me" by Def Leppard. The process is the same as with the bouquet throw and Howard, the groom, goes the extra mile while pulling the garter down with his teeth. Even though he throws the piece of lace with as much enthusiasm as his wife, the bachelors do their best to avoid catching it.

"Thank you, guys. This was fun," I shake hands with the bridal couple before they return to their social rounds.

Since there are no significant events coming up, I just program a sequence of songs and head to the bar for something to drink. Thomas joins me and cheers to me for a job well done.

"Hey Tommy, can you score me a bit of food? I had a meeting at the station and had little time to eat before I had to be here."

"Sure, let me message Abigail to bring you something," he types fast on his phone. "She's with the caterers right now. How do you think it's going?"

"Definitely one to remember. At least that's what I can see from the DJ booth. I know you feel anxious every time there's an event, but Abi and you have done a fantastic job. There's no doubt in my mind you are excellent at this."

"Thanks, Jimmy," he pats my shoulder. "Here comes your twin."

Abigail and I look alike today more than ever, thanks to our all-black outfits and the way she's combed her hair to the side.

"Here you go," she hands me a plate with a selection of appetizers. "Let me know the next time when we are mounting, I could have gotten you something already."

"I'll remember the next time," I say before popping a miniature quiche into my mouth.

"Seems we didn't ruin Valentine's for everybody. Look at all the people dancing!" Abigail watches the dance floor.

Before I can agree with her, the combination of the soda, the food and my empty stomach makes me belch.

"Very classy, Jimmy," Abigail says with a disapproving look before returning to the kitchen area.

"Does she want my gut to explode?" I say to Thomas, who chuckles and heads to the bride's mother, who's calling him.

After finishing my food, I head back to the DJ booth. Three ladies stare at me and talk among themselves. Then the tallest of the three walks my way.

"Hi! The girls and I were wondering if you and that guy are related," she says in my ear, then points at Thomas.

"We are brothers," I say.

"Brothers... And single?"

"Yeah."

"And what are you doing after the wedding ends?"

"Probably sleep," I laugh.

"What about sleeping with us?"

Shocked is the best way to describe how I feel about this proposal. And to think that Thomas deals with this often. In all the time I've worked at events, this is the first time that I experience this. Yeah, I've had a dry spell for some months now, but this isn't the way I want it solved.

"Well, I'm flattered, but I'm afraid I won't be of much use."

"Why?"

"Cause... I'm... Waiting for my wedding night?" I hope the lie sounds convincing.

The girl cocks her head to the side while deciding to believe me or not.

"Aren't you Jimmy Morgan from the radio?"

"I'm... Not..."

The lady smirks and walks away. I'm just glad that I deflected the indecent proposal and hope all be forgotten by tomorrow.

"Are you okay?" Didier asks next to me.

"The woman who was just here offered me to sleep with her and two other. Is it bad that I feel weird about it?"

"I believe Valentine's Day makes people feel desperate. Of course, it's nice and special when you have somebody to spend it with, but otherwise it's just another day," he shrugs.

My gaze returns to the table where Grayson sat and I find it empty. Probably he got fed up and left.

"Didier, can you hold the fort here for a minute? I really need to use the bathroom."

"Sure, do I have to do something in particular?"

"No, the music will keep going for about ten minutes."

As "Let's Get It On" from Marvin Gaye starts, I head to the bathroom for the necessary relief. The horny trio chatters as I walk by and I ignore them the best way I can. Once done with my business, I wash my hands and feel surprised when Grayson comes out of a stall and joins me. Up close, he's incredibly handsome. His almond-shaped eyes are the lightest green in contrast to his black hair.

"Are you enjoying the wedding?" I ask at his reflection in the mirror.

"Weddings are not really my thing. But my cousin is the bride, and my mom didn't want to come by herself, so here I am."

"A noble thing to do."

"Noble or stupid?" He laughs. "I've been entertained thanks to you and my drunken family. I'm Grayson," he offers me a hand after wiping them dry.

"James," I shake it and I'm surprised at their softness.

"And why is a radio host playing at weddings?" He leans against the counter and I find myself amused at his sudden interest.

"It's something I enjoy doing, plus I'm helping my siblings out. They are the planners."

"I see. Well, James, it's been a pleasure. Now I'll escape while everyone is too drunk to notice."

I give him a smile and we split ways. As I walk into the hall, I see the trio snapping pictures of me and then typing on their phones. Thomas notices it and walks to them while I return to my station.

"Thanks, Didier. Any additional requests?"

"A few. All noted here," he hands me a paper. "What's up with those three? They came to ask me stuff about you. I told them the truth, that I just started working for the company and we don't know each other that well."

"I fear nothing good. Hopefully, Tommy can deal with them. I'm feeling uncomfortable at their insistence."

The women seem pleased at whatever Thomas tells them, and I hope he hasn't blown my cover. Although it is stupid to think I have a cover, even Grayson knew who I was.