Forty Five

"how do you keep going when the worst thing has to happen? who do you have to change inside to survive? Who do you have to become?" ---

---

"You are so fucking stupid Wes," I said as I cleaned the cuts on his face.

"Well, it's his fault that Jack and your family are dead." I pressed on a cut that he had made him wince. "Ow!" Wes said while glaring at me.

"Kayden didn't do anything, Wes," I said looking at him. Right now, we are in the nurse's office, and I am scolding Wes for starting a fight with Kayden when he doesn't even know the full story. "How do you even know about what happened?"

"I heard you and him, last night," Wes said making me look at him. "I heard you guys talking about the crash and him apologizing. I connected the dots and figured out what happened from there."

I continue to clean his cuts. "Why didn't you come inside my room if you knew? Knowing you, you would stroll inside the room and beat him as you did in the hallway."

"Because you two were a little busy so I didn't want to interrupt," Wes said giving me a knowing look.

Oh god, he heard us.

I hope Isabelle didn't.

"Kayden didn't crash into our car. It was this other guy named Robin." I stated. "He couldn't control the car so instead he crashed into the wall nearby our car. But the Robin guy ended up crashing into our car making it flip." I said softly not looking at Wes.

"He is dangerous Alexis. What is with you and this guy?"

"I like him, Wes. A lot more than I should. I don't blame him for what happened."

"You have the worst taste in guys." Wes sighed.

"As if you know. You are the one who never bothers to pay attention to what is going on around you."

"Like?" Wes asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Your mom is hurting and all you ever do is go out with your friends and party. You don't care about anyone but yourself Wes and it hurts people." I stated finally looking up at him.

Wes finally looked at me with furrowed eyebrows. "She told me she was fine."

"Are you that oblivious? Your mom cried to me the day of the crash and you weren't there to comfort her." I scolded.

"I didn't know," Wes said, looking guilty.

"Of course, you didn't, because all you care about is yourself," I said stepping away from him and going towards the trash to throw away the cotton pad with some blood on it.

"I'm sorry."

I turn around to look at Wes with a shocked look on my face. "Didn't think I would hear that come from your mouth."

"I have to admit that I have been acting like a dick, so I am sorry," Wes said looking down in shame, not meeting my eye.

"You need to stop being such a dick, Wes. You need to see that other people need you."

"I know and I will be there I promise Alexis," Wes said giving me a reassuring look. "How did it happen?"

"How did what happen?"

"The crash."

I sighed. "Well Jack was showing me a video on his phone and then the next thing I know I see a bright light coming towards our car and that was Kayden in that car. His breaks weren't working because I guess Robin rigged his car so instead of hitting our car, he hit the wall instead. Robin then crashed into our car without breaking"

"Oh."

Before I can say another thing to him, I hear the door open making me look at who walks in. I see Kayden walk in. He has one cut on his eyebrow and then another on his lip.

He still somehow manages to look hot even with those cuts. Maybe even hotter.

"Principle wants to talk to you," Kayden said looking at Wes. I take a few steps back from Wes to have him get off of the nurse's bed. While walking past Kayden he stares him down and passes the door. Kayden closes the door after Wes leaves and Kayden walks towards me and sits on the nurse bed in front of me. "Are you going to nurse me back to help Nurse Alexis?" Kayden asked with a smirk.

I rolled my eyes and grab cotton pads before walking closer to him.

The nurse at the school isn't here and the principal told Kayden and Wes to just take care of themselves, which isn't a principal thing to say but whatever.

"It's not like you really need it." Kayden puts his hand on my hips as I stand in between his legs.

I wipe the small cut on his lip, and he doesn't wince. "So, I heard you and Wes talking. How did that go?"

"It went okay, I guess. I told him the truth and he understands what he now has to do."

"Are you?"

I look at Kayden's eyes and see him with a worried look. "Yeah, I am just a little frustrated with him." I sighed. "But what did the principal talk to you about?"

"He basically lectured me about the fighting, and he also talked to me about my grades because I haven't been doing well except for English," Kayden smirked.

"And we all know why," I smirked with him.

"Well, I have a little motivation in that class," Kayden said leaning closer to me but I back away.

"Stop." I chuckled. Kayden rolled his eyes. "What's your punishment?"

"I am suspended for a week and have a Saturday detention."

"Not that bad." I shrugged.

"Yea it could be worse." Kayden looks at me while I clean his cuts. "I also saw your aunt Isabelle and we talked."

"About what?"

"She told me how she forgives me and that I shouldn't feel guilty about what happened."

"I know you do but you shouldn't. It's not your fault Kayden." I throw the cotton pads away and walk towards Kayden again, standing in between his legs.

Kayden wraps his arms around me again pulling me closer to him. "Can I kiss you now?" Kayden asked with a raised eyebrow.

"You know you can't keep kissing me because you aren't my boyfriend?" I said with a teasing smile.

"Are you asking for me to be your boyfriend?" Kayden smirked.

"No." I try to hide my blush, but I feel Kayden's hand on my cheek making me look at him.

"Alexis Carter, would you like to be my girlfriend?" Kayden asked with a smile. "And I have never asked a girl this so if it's the wrong way to ask then-"

I cut him off by rolling my eyes and kissing him on the lips.

"Yes," I mumbled against his lips. "I will be your girlfriend."