Ten

"mindset is what keeps the best from the rest

"mindset is what keeps the best from the rest."
---

"Okay so all we are going to do today is just have them work on these worksheets I printed out and then some of them may have homework from school so if they do then you can help them work on that," Kathrine said.

So today is my first day of work.

I am both nervous and excited. I just hope that these kids like me and don't give me a hard time on the first day, but I think this will go well. I just need to be positive.

"Okay. What is the worksheet they are going to work on?"

"It's just a small coloring sheet for the kids who don't have homework to do. After the kids are done with their homework though then I am going to let them play outside for a few minutes to just get their energy out. Then towards the end of the day, I usually put on a movie that they can watch while parents pick them up and since you are new you can meet the parents."

Kathrine is basically just telling me the schedule we have today. She said almost every day is the same but there are different activities that we do.

"Sounds simple," I said while nodding my head.

"Great because some of the kids are just arriving," Kathrine said before turning to look at a kid who walked in.

It was the boy named Elijah that had gorgeous eyes that I could never look away from.

"Hey, buddy how was school today?" Kathrine asked while walking towards him.

"It was pretty good. I'm so tired though." He said while dropping his backpack to the floor.

I let out a small laugh at the way he said that. "Well do you have any homework?" I asked.

Elijah gave me a nodded and walked towards me with his backpack. "Can you help me? I don't really understand what we did today." Elijah asked as we sat down at a table in the corner, also known as the homework corner.

"Of course. What are you learning?" I asked.

Elijah pulled out his papers from his race car backpack and I saw that it was mostly addition and subtraction math.

"I hate math. It's so hard." He sighed.

"It gets easier." Kind of. "You just have to make sure you pay attention in class and ask for help when you need it."

"My teacher is mean," Elijah said as he pulled out the homework he had. "She always yells at me when I don't do the math right."

"Yeah, teachers can be like that," I muttered. "Let hurry and get started so that you don't have to do it at home," I said, and Elijah nodded his head.

While Elijah and I worked on his math homework a lot more kids arrive in the classroom. There was a good number of kids here already.

Some kids had homework while others didn't, so they went over to where Kathrine was with all of the crayons and papers to draw on.

"Wait how do you do this one?" Elijah asked pointing to the last problem.

It was a problem that asked to subtract the numbers zero and six.

"Okay so remember what I said about subtracting and adding zeros?" I asked him and he nodded his head. "Well basically is the same thing. So, whenever you add or subtract a number from zero it will always be that number. Just make sure that the number is before the zero instead of after because if it's after then it will be a negative." Elijah furrowed his eyebrows at me when I said the word negative.

"Thank you, Ms. Alexis," Elijah said after he finished the problem.

"Of course. Now go with the other kids and at the table."

Elijah packed his bag and then put it in the little cubbies area they had then went over to where Kathrine was with the other kids.

All of the other kids who had homework were pretty much the same. They had a worksheet filled with subtracting and adding equations. Obviously, it isn't hard for me because I am a senior, so I explained it in a way for them to be able to understand.

Once all of the kids were done with their homework Kathrine and I took them outside to the playground they had. This academy has really nice utilities. They even had a washer and dryer here, a kitchen, a huge playground for kids to play, etc.

While the kids wore out all of their energy while playing, Kathrine and I just sat down and watched them. I also got to know her a little better.

I learned that she has a husband. They married last year, and they have known each other since high school. She graduated from college 2 years ago. I don't know her age but if I had to guess I would say she is in her mid-twenties or maybe she is older but got work done.

"Okay, so what movie would you guys like to watch today?" Kathrine asked once we got the kids back inside.

They were all sitting down on the floor where we laid out pillows and bean bags for the kids to sit on.

"Lion King!"

"Wall-E!"

"Beauty and the Beast!"

"Princess and the Frog!"

"CARS!"

Multiple people yelled out making me giggle at Katherine because she didn't know what to choose.

"Okay pick a number one through ten and I will choose whoever is closer to the number," Kathrine said and all of the kids started yelling out random numbers.

"10," Elijah said.

"9," Jane said.

"5," Lucas said.

Other kids called out different numbers and then Kathrine stopped them.

"Okay the number was 10 so Elijah what movie do you want to watch?" Kathrine asked.

"Cars!" He cheered throwing his hands in the air making me smile.

He seems like such a happy kid. He doesn't have to worry about a thing.