chapter 3 ~ cat got your tongue?

Start from the beginning

Ian and I quickly hustled down the street with Veronica as we waited for her to seduce the truck driver

Ian and I quickly hustled down the street with Veronica as we waited for her to seduce the truck driver. It was Friday morning which meant it was the day we went out to borrow stuff we would never return.

Debbie was on coupon duty while my twin and I were on groceries.

"Hey Conrad, how's it going" I heard V flirt as we snuck around the side of the truck. I quietly opened up the back door to reveal the loot of dairy products.

"Jackpot" I whispered in a sing song voice. I handed a few cartoons of milk and butter over to my brother before he gave our distraction the thumbs up. "Race ya home" I laughed, taking a head start back to the house.

I could hear Ian close behind me but there was a reason I made him hold our products.

"Why the fuck are you so fast" He coughed as I slid into the kitchen. I ruffled Debbie on the head, looking down at the score of coupons she had stolen.

"Nice work, Debs" I laughed, walking over to place Liam in his high chair. If i've said it once, I'll say it again; he was the only normal one in the family. 

"Lip, you seen Frank?" Fiona asked as I poured Liam a bowl of cereal. He could be at the bottom of the L for all I care, I didn't give two craps. 

I tossed Ian over an apple as I grabbed one for myself. If he had it his way he would just heat up the pizza from last night, but there was no way I was letting that happen. 

"I think dad's missing" Fiona sighed, handing me over a yellow envelope. It was Friday, which meant it was his disability check day, and never in a million years would he miss it.

Without a second thought we raced to grab the nearest phones we could find. Even if I was pissed at Frank, we needed him to cash that check in.

"Hey John, it's Cassie. Have you seen Frank?" I asked, half hanging out the window. "Not since Michael J died, got it" I sighed. I hung up the call before dialing the next number. "Phill! Listen-" Before I could get the words out, V's phone came flying out of my hands.

"Motherfucker" She snapped, running out of the house. My bets we're on her boyfriend Kevin who was probably not happy about us racking up his bills.

"Nobody's seen him since last night" Ian sighed as I wrapped my arm around Debbie. She nuzzled her face into my chest, letting out a few tears. Frank was an asshole, but to her, he was her entire world. She was still to young to understand how much of a pain in the ass he was

"Okay so we split up, all the regular spots" Fiona announced, making us all jump to our feet.

I threw on my coat before following Ian out of the house. Like usual when Frank went missing, we were on bar duty.

"Sunset was a bust" I muttered, hoping he had luck at the bar down the street. He shook his head before we set off to our next stops. "Has anyone seen Frank?" I asked, stepping foot into the dingy bar. You could practically see the cockroaches running through the walls.

"Not for a few weeks" The bartender shrugged. She quickly went back to her job, not giving me a second look. Rolling my eyes, I walked back outside, the cold air stinging the bruises around my face.

"Get in a cat fight, ginger?" A voice called as I turned around to find Mickey walking down the street. Great, this day just got a whole lot worse. 

I turned on my heel, speeding as far away from him as I could. If only Ian wasn't on the other side of the block checking the Sperm Bank.

"Oh come on, cat got your tongue" He laughed, quickly falling in step with me. I rolled my eyes, stopping dead in my tracks.

"What the hell do you want, Milkovich?" I spat, pulling my jacket closer to my body. He pressed his thumb on my nose, causing me to wince in pain. A smirk formed on his face, obvious he enjoyed seeing me in pain. 

"I thought Mandy said you didn't go all kung fo on Jackson" He laughed as I rolled my eyes. Seriously Mandy? You talked to your asshat of a brother about me?

"Yeah well, this time it was Frank" I cheered, brushing past him.

I continued my walk down the street, happy when I spotted Ian's fire of red hair. I quickly ran over to him, looking back to see Mickey still staring at me.

"What was that all about?" He laughed, lacing our arms together.

"Him being a motherfucker like always" I muttered. "Any luck?" He shook his head as we made our way back to the house. If we couldn't find him, I sure as hell hoped one of our other siblings did.

As we walked into the living room, my eyes fell on a crowd huddling around a crying Debbie. I ran over to her, wrapping my arms into a tight hug.

"Holly thought she saw a body under the tracks at Halstead" Fiona sighed as I tightened my hold on her. I had serious doubts of it being him though. I mean Holly Herkimer was a bitch who would say anything for attention.

"I'm gonna deck that little bitch" I muttered, our heads turning as Kev came running into our house. I stared at him questionaly before he confirmed the one thing we didn't want to hear.

Without a second thought, we all went flying out of the house. We quickly approached the train tracks where a bunch of cop cars were waiting. My eyes begun to fill with tears as I looked between the dead body and the coroner's truck.

"Do you know who that is?" Fiona yelled. We stared silently as one of the cops rolled over the body to reveal some bearded homeless man.

Loud shouts and cheers came out of my sibling and I's mouths when we realized it wasn't Frank. As much as some part of me wanted it to be him, I hated to say I was glad it wasn't. 

'What's wrong?" I suddenly asked, noticing the worried look on my sister's face. She held up her phone, her mouth unable to make words. "Fi?" I asked again, waving my hand in front of her face.

"That was Tony" She started. "Frank's been arrested in Canada...."