Chapter 21-King Kong

Start from the beginning

She filled the absence, the void he had been missing.

All his life he unknowingly waited and found who he was searching for.  The one person he could see spending the rest of life with. . .

His list of firsts was non-ending.

But she was someone else's. 

He felt utterly defeated. His mind was weighted; his muscles ached.  His heart sat like a lump of coal in his chest. 

"Mr. St. James, you requested to see me?"

Zayn never bothered to turn around, hands still clasped behind his back looking out of the view in his office. 

"I want a very thorough background check on Colin Edinburg and associates." 

Luke clears his throat.  "I believed I had one done for you not too long ago, sir.  Is everything all right?"

"We've scarcely scratched the surface.  Dig deeper.  There has to be something we're missing.  I want to know where he's been in the last couple years, the places he's visited.  Down to the place and date he gets his car serviced.  I also want to know more about Lily.  What she did before marrying Colin.  Where she went to school, family, what places she's visited. Every. Single. Detail. About both of them."

"Very well.  I will do my very best."  Luke acknowledged.  "It will take some time to retrieve such sensitive information."

Zayn turns around, pinning him with a hard stare.

"There's more.  Keep close tabs on Colin and Hope–I mean Lily.  I want them watched.  Take photos.  Document where and who she visits, how long she stays, how many days, what she eats daily. . .I want to know everything."

"We need someone on the inside in order to fulfill that particular request Mr. St. James.  In addition, I would need to hire men on watch twenty-four hours a day and another team who keep track of their activity outside the manor."

"Do whatever it takes. Hire whoever you need.  Money is no issue.  I want a full detailed description daily.  But make sure they are not obvious.  I do not want them to realize they're being watched."

"Rest easy. I only hire the best and they will blend in as bystanders.  They won't question or suspect a single detail out of place."  He assures him. 

"Excellent."

"Oh and one more thing.  Colin's brother–I know him as Jack.   Their last names do not match.  He goes by Evans.  He claims he is his half brother.  I want an extensive background check on him."

His former friend was keeping things from him and Zayn was hellbent on finding out what.  Jack had always been a private person.  He never spoke about his work and personal life now that Zayn thought about it.  Hell, he never even knew the story behind Colin's wife.  He never shared it. 

He'd pretended not to know her when he saw her at the party.  What was his motive? Why wait?

There was one thing Zayn hated.  Liars. 

"Jack Evans."  Luke repeated the name jotting it down on his notepad.  "Anything else you require, sir?"

"No, that will be all.  Don't make me wait too long Luke.  It is of utter importance."

"Do you suspect the lady is in danger?" He asks, scooting his spectacles higher up on the bridge of his nose. 

"I do not know."  Zayn replied in all honesty.  "I sense something isn't right.  Colin's story was too convenient and convincing, leaving nothing to question.  We need more information if I am to question the story he provided."