chapter thirty-five

May bloomed with the Jacaranda trees. Along San Diego's neighborhood streets and parks, the periwinkle blossoms adorned the willowy branches, glowing like little purple bells in the overhead sunlight. Soon they would fall and litter the streets, and the trees would look just like any other, but, come next spring, the blooms would return.

The Morning Grind was empty save for a few customers in a hurry to get their coffee and join the mass outside. The Carl Vinson had returned, giant and prodigious, its stature taking up nearly the entire front window. It seemed impossible four months had gone by already.

This could easily be blamed on how busy I had become in recent months. After I got the clear to start doing things as normal after the accident, my days tended to fill up quickly. Between working and volunteering, I was also attending the vet tech school three days a week and spending much of my free time with my mom, Vi, and Meghan. My mom and I had recently taken a trip up to Cardiff-by-the-Sea and spent the weekend at a hotel on the beach, watching the surfers let the waves take them where they would.

I may have grown up along the beach, but there was something special about traveling someplace to enjoy it specifically, like taking a fraction of your life and letting it fill the entire space. Colors, sounds, and shapes were much sharper.

We spent our days enjoying each other's company, something neither of us had had the chance to do in a long time. She asked me about my dad, who was so far keeping up with his promise and calling every week. It was small progress, but it was still progress, and my mom seemed contented by it. I could admit that I was.

We watched the sun rise from the ocean and fall back into each day.

Classes for the vet tech program were going well. My first semester was almost over with the next one starting in the fall. It was strange to have put so many months into the program, considering I had begun it expecting that I would get only a few weeks. In another two and half years, I would be a vet technician, which seemed impossible before.

Vi and Meghan were still dating and watching them sometimes made my heart twinge. I hadn't seen or spoken to Warner since he boarded the Carl Vinson, and I missed him. This confession to both Vi and Meghan had been well received as Meghan found my interest rather intriguing, and Vi had long since accepted my feelings. She had told me she was happy I found someone who made me want to try different things.

And in all that time, I had only heard the death dates of those I had chosen to.

And so, the day having finally arrived, I waited. I had no idea what I would find in Warner once he stepped off the ship, but I wasn't overwhelmed by this. I was calm – eager, yes – but calm, because I knew that whatever happened I would still have a life to live, one that was gratifying on its own.

But, still, I desperately hoped Warner would feel the same as he had before he left.

The clock on the wall slowly counted time. Figures in their dress whites were speckled amongst the throng of people outside. My nerves began to flare. And then, as though I had summoned him, a person suddenly appeared from behind the counter, tall, serious, and edgy. My breath caught; I had to consciously think about inhaling to get air flowing again. Yards away was Warner, silent and still.

Meghan nudged my shoulder. "Go on. I'll cover bar."

Without a single word, I sidled out of the half door and walked towards Warner, my heart race increasing with each step.

When his stormy brown eyes met mine, my knees started to tremble. I was thankful the back of a chair was beside me when I stopped, as I was sure to collapse with nothing to brace myself with.