chapter ten

Driving through La Jolla from Lemon Grove always seemed like I had crash landed on some distant planet. Instead of rows with stacked apartments and small bungalow style homes, the streets of La Jolla were lined with exquisite houses and polished condos. While downtown Lemon Grove featured many of the consumer stores you'd find in almost any populated area, downtown La Jolla contained an assortment of quaint boutiques and restaurants with food appearing straight from a magazine. Although, I still hadn't found any Mexican cuisine to compare to my favorite joint in Lemon Grove – but maybe I was biased.

Vi's house was perched along a street close enough to the ocean that the salty air and crashing waves filtered through the other houses and vegetation. Just beyond, the blue sea faded into the horizon. Vi's parents were both physicians, and while they had once lived in Lemon Grove, they had moved to the prestigious village of La Jolla after Vi graduated high school. (I had always been thankful for this, considering how difficult it would have been for our friendship to attend different schools.) The La Jolla Cove beaches were closely accessible for Vi, and I always wondered why they weren't her favorites. There was nothing quite like them.

Slamming my car door shut, I trotted up the stairs and opened the front door. I couldn't recall the last time I had knocked to enter Vi's house. Moving inside the foyer, the combination of fresh eucalyptus filled my nose, the smell I most associated with Vi. I entered the living space and found Vi's parents, Hien and Linh, seated on the plush beige couch, each with their heads bent. The sight took me by surprise: her parents had busy schedules, and the chance of catching them together was small.

"Hello Mr. and Mrs. Tran," I said, causing both of their heads to swivel from the reading material in their laps.

They both greeted me with pleasant smiles and a warm welcome.

"Hi, Delia. Good to see you," Hien said and lifted himself from the couch, replacing his spot on the cushion with his book.

"What a nice surprise," Linh said, still smiling and looking at me from over the rim of her glasses. "We never get to see you anymore."

There was much truth to this statement. When Vi and I were in high school, I spent many afternoons at her home; however, since starting work full-time and dealing with the increasing decline in my mom's health, most of my time was spent elsewhere.

"I know." I settled against the marble top kitchen island as Hien came to a stop in front of me. "You guys have got to stop working so much."

They both chuckled and the noise filled the open room. I suddenly heard footsteps coming from the staircase.Vi was descending, her black hair pulled back into a tight braid. A loose, white t-shirt hung over her frame, nearly covering half the length of the Bermuda shorts she wore.

"You're early. You're never early," Vi said.

"I'm ready for a stroll through La Jolla," I said casually, trying to mask the real reason I was so prompt. The letter tucked inside my light jacket suddenly had weight.

Vi slid past me and headed for the foyer, bending over at her waist and slipping into a pair of sneakers. Lifting herself upright, she said, "Are you coming?"

Hien and Linh offered me a set of amused expressions, but, if anyone understood, they did. When Vi was ready, she was ready, and even though I hadn't seen her parents in weeks, the vague conversation we shared would have to do.

"Have fun, you two," Linh said, returning to her book.

"Don't be a stranger," Hien stated as I approached Vi in the foyer.

"How could she ever be a stranger?" Vi questioned her father. "You've known her for twelve years."

Hein smiled widely, the corner of his eyes crinkling.