chapter fifteen

"Hey, honey, where you off too?"

Swiping a light hoodie from the coat rack mounted on the wall, I skidded around to see my mom standing in a pair of jeans and flowy blouse, her work attire. I quickly glanced to the clock above the mantel. It was just after twelve thirty.

"Just out," I said vaguely, still not entirely convinced myself that I would make it to the place I was heading. The statement relieved some of the pressure. "Did you just get home? I didn't hear you."

My mom padded towards me in her work attire. "Yeah, just a second ago. Hey," we locked eyes and hers were a clear, marbled blue and gold, "do you want to watch a movie with me tonight? It's been so long since the two of us have had a girls night in."

When my mom was on, she was on. Just as when she was off, even a little, she was off. Her good days were few and far between, but I wondered if that was what made them so sweet. My heart melted at the sight of her in the hallway, chestnut hair pulled back into a neat twist and eyes clear. A rarity was before me.

"Sure, that sounds like fun," I said, honestly. I stood in place for a moment longer than necessary, clinging to the moment my mom and I were sharing because I worried any movement would shatter its fragile existence.

"Anyway, have fun while you're out. I guess I'll see you later?" my mom said in a questioning tone, likely to confirm I'd be back to spend time with her that evening.

I twisted the doorknob and cracked the front door. "Yep, I'll be back later."

My mom's genuine smile was the last thing I saw before I snapped the door shut and glided down the stairs towards the parking lot. On my way, though, I ran into an obstacle. Melanie, the woman I had met a couple weeks ago, was shuffling from the closest row of parked cars towards me, no doubt en route to her apartment.

"Oh, hi, dear," Melanie greeted pleasantly, the lines around her upturned mouth deeply creased.

"Hi, Melanie." As I approached, I kept my distance, even though I had already received her death date.

December twenty seventh, two thousand and seventeen, I reminded myself. Death dates were hard to forget; the more I willed them away the more they stuck.

"How are you?" I asked, feeling a combination of remorse and turbulence; how could I comfortably stand before her knowing she was dying in a few short months?

"Oh, I'm wonderful. Thanks for asking, dear," Melanie said. "I was just out running an errand. Beautiful day, isn't it?"

Every day was beautiful in San Diego. "Yeah," I said. "Can't complain."

"And how are you, dear?" she asked.

"I'm good, yeah. Just about to run an errand myself."

Melanie dipped her chin and sank her crystal eyes into mine. I was frozen in place, captured by the mesmerizing orbs. "Don't hold yourself back, dear."

"W-what?" I stammered, still an ice sculpture.

Melanie broke contact. "I get feelings from people sometimes. Don't hold yourself back." Her deep smile returned just as a cloud pulled away from blocking the sun so light spilled over everything around us causing me to wince.

"Okay," I said slowly. "Um, thanks." My feet began to carry me in the direction of my car.

"You're welcome, dear. Stop by anytime," Melanie called, waving a frail hand. I noticed a thin strip of gauze wrapped around her forearm.

Grimacing, I ducked into my car, exhaling a huge sigh once the door had sealed me inside. I strapped my hands to the steering wheel and sank into the driver's seat. I had made it this far. What was stopping me from going the rest of the way? If anything, Melanie's strange prophecy-like sentiment should have given me the drive to start my car and zip down to the vet. Instead, I found myself reeling, letting her words dig into my skin.