17

Annabeth

"Uhhhhh Annie-" Percy called. I got up and walked to the door, my steps faltering as I realized it was the police. "I can't explain it, but she was defending me."

The police studied me, "This is her?" 

"Annabeth Chase?" One of his other police asked. I nodded, no point in running from the police.

"You're under arrest. We will interrogate you, and if you seem innocent, we will let you go. We will also need you to explain the situation to the judge in around a week."

The police half forcefully half not (because I was cooperating very well) hand cuffed my hands.

"Wait- don't take Annie please!" Percy said, hugging me, preventing the police from taking me anywhere.

I laughed softly, "Percy, it's fine. I'll be back, I promise."

The police moved Percy, leading me to the cop car.

"You seem awfully calm about all this." The head police said.

"I have confidence that I will not be staying long. I'm smart enough to get myself into the situation, I should be smart enough to get myself out of it." 

----

The day of the trial, I walked up to the judges panel.

"Annabeth Chase. All rise."

Everyone rose and the trial started.

"What was your relation to Mr. Ugliano?"

"He was my boyfriends step father, but Sally Jackson, Percy's mother, divorced him."  

"Mhm, and do you know why?"

"I was never friends with Percy until just last year, Percy explained to me that Gabe abused him though."

"Abuse? Mr. Jackson, is this true?" The judge looked out into the audience. Percy stood, nodding, "It is."

"Interesting... so Mr Ugliano was at the Jackson's household... why?"

"I'm not quite sure, but he did hit Percy or something."

"Interesting. What effects did the hit have?"

"Percy was in the hospital for a while, suffering from a concussion."

"Mhm, and what were you doing there, Miss Chase?"

"I have been staying at Percy's house for some time now, I prefer it there over my dad and step mothers house."

The judge nodded, "You cut off Mr Ugliano's finger?"

"Yes, it was an action of self defense. He seemed to be trying to kill Percy."

"Is that what you killing him was for, as well?"

"I did not intend to kill him, I was aiming for his arm. He moved, causing the knife to impale his upper side chest."

The judge nodded again, "I see no reason to continue this. Miss Chase has been fully honest with us, and this means the murder was an act of self defense. Mr Ugliano committed many more crimes."

"But- I still murdered him!" I argue.

Everyone looked at me.

"Are you wanting to go to jail, Miss Chase."

"You can never be so sure someone is telling the truth!"

"Annabeth, stop-" Sally said. "They will take you to jail-"

I looked at Percy, tears glistening in his eyes. 

"Annabeth, please..."

I turned back to the judge, "Please, nobody can know about this! I will be ruined!"

The judge chuckled, nodding.

"Very well. Let's hope we never meet again, Miss Chase."

I smiled and ran over to Percy, hugging him tightly, breaking down into tears, which I had been holding back for oh so long.