IV

"I thinking a roaring 20's party," Ryder tells me as he sits on my bed. His back was against the headboard and his feet were kicked out across the sheets. I lie on my back and my face in his lap as my legs were bent at my knees to keep them from falling off of the bed. We had invited Ramon over, but he claimed he had a date with Audrey. My eyes scan the book that Style's had given me as I hold it above my face to read it. I found myself entrapped in it, barely listening to Ryder, who was discussing his birthday party. This amazed me because it wasn't until July, and it was only January, but then again, this was Ryder.

"That's lame." I admit plainly as I continue to read. He smacks at my forehead and I poke out my bottom lip, grabbing a pillow from next to me and throwing it in his face, he catches it and tosses it on the floor, letting out a whine. "Seriously, Lo. It's only like 7 months away and basically 6 since it's almost February!"

"It's only the third. But fine, I'm all ears." I look at the page number I'm on before closing the book shut and sitting crissed cross.

"Alright, so I'm thinking flappers, feathers, and champagne." He gestures with his hands before looking at me. I nod, trying my best to envision this, "And what would you wear?" I ask.

"Well a fedora, for starters. But I don't know yet, I'll work out the deets later."

"Ryder, you do know that nobody says that... right?"

"Oh hush, you're the one who unironically listens to Coldplay."

I don't have time to react when my room door swings open, revealing Ellen. One hand sat on her hip as the other one held onto the door knob. "Geez mom, knock?" I groan. Her hair was thrown back into a bun at the back of her head and she still wore her scrubs, signifying that she had just returned from work. "I own the house, not you." She replies hastily.

"Did you need something?" I ignore her comment and raise my eyebrows, Ryder looks back and forth between us, his lips pursed. He knew the love hate relationship I had with my mother and for the most part, he stayed neutral. As feisty as he was, he didn't like getting in the middle of things.

"Yeah, how was your session?" She leans against the door frame.

"Good." I respond blankly.

"And how are you, Ryder?" She points her chin towards my friend, who gives a diplomatic smile. "I'm awesome, ma'am, thank you for asking."

"Well, you two don't do anything I wouldn't do." She finally says as she leaves the room.

"Okay mom!" I call after her as she purposefully leaves the door cracked. Did she seriously think that Ryder and I would do anything? He's gay.

"Anyway." Ryder drawls out, clicking his phone off and setting it at his side. I cock a brow at him. "What were you reading?" My eyes follow his to the Just Mercy that sits next to me.

"Oh, just a book."

"From?"

"What do you mean from, does it have to be from anybody?" I say defensively. I'm not sure why it had to be a secret that Harry gave it to me, even though I'm sure it had something to do with our sessions and was nothing personal.

"You lying bitch. Who gave it to you." Ryder reads straight through my façade and I slump my shoulders in defeat. "Styles."

"Harry Styles? Your tutor you were thinking about when you were fucking Ramon?" He confirms loudly, I smack at his shoulder, giving him a scowl, "Say it a little louder, why don't you? I don't think the people in Canada heard you."

He let's out a laugh, his head falling back as he clasps his hands over his mouth, shaking his legs dramatically. I roll my eyes at his theatrics.

"It's not anything like that, and if you saw him, you'd know he's a nice looking guy."